Upgrade/Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using FreeNAS back around 0.6.9, or 0.7.0. With each new version it's become less, and less stable for me. About 6 months ago I had a storage drive fail, and I replaced it. Since then the OS has not started. Fixing it hasn't been a high priority, and now it's finally to the point to be fixed. I think I was on 9.3, but I don't remember.

If I install the current stable version will it wipe the data on the software raid from before? Unfortunately I need to keep that data. The NAS was the primary backup device, and I was in the process of setting up a secondary backup when this happened. The files on it aren't accessed very often.

I've had to reinstall FreeNAS 3-4 times a year because it keeps corrupting itself somehow. The device it's on doesn't matter. in the old versions when I could use a CF2IDE adapter, and just write an image to it I had almost no problems. Now it doesn't matter if it's on a USB flash drive, a USB HDD/SSD, or an internal HDD/SSD the OS will be corrupt before 6 months. Has anything been done to correct this?

I've been trying to run some test using VirtualBox, and it insists there is no DHCP server on the network when there is. I'm also using two different versions of Ubuntu Server x64 for testing other things in the on the same system. The system it self has no problems getting it's IP from DHCP, the other virtual machines see the DHCP server and acquire an IP, but FreeNAS won't. The network config for all VMs is a bridged adapter set to allow all. The DHCP server is on the Linksys router running DD-WRT v3.0-r33772 mega. I'm guessing it's a FreeBSD or FreeNAS issue, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. I know I can use a static IP, but I have the network setup to have DHCP assign the static IPs because it removes needing to reconfigure each system when a change is made.

PS
It should be RAID 1+0 using 4 3TB Seagate drives. It was about 2/3 used when it was last running.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
If I install the current stable version will it wipe the data on the software raid from before?
No, as long as you don't tell the installer to install to one (or more) of those data disks. And if you were using 9.3 before, you had a ZFS volume, and the current version should work fine with that volume.
Has anything been done to correct this?
Unlikely, as the OS in general is very stable. If you're encountering recurrent instability, the odds are high that there's a problem with your hardware.

Unlikely, as the OS in general is very stable. If you're encountering recurrent instability, the odds are high that there's a problem with your hardware.

I've rebuilt it from nothing at least 3 times, and used new hardware each time. It's the same with hardware only as old as the install, or really old hardware.

toadman

Guru
Then something else is wrong. The system is very stable for the vast majority of users.

It's hard to provide any other input as you haven't listed any specific configs or specific errors. No hardware specs coupled with Freenas version where you are experiencing the problem. And the problem is stated as the OS corrupting itself. What does that mean?

Re: the DHCP thing, does it work with a static IP or not?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm running the same upgraded install for over 3 years now without issue. The instability is not due to FreeNAS. You need to debug your hardware issue and since you haven't stated what the hardware is you'll probably not get many responses as to what the issue could be.

Post your complete hardware specs and maybe we can help.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You need to post more information that is usable to help you figure things out. At this point you are just complaining. Things are very stable for basically everyone so whatever problems you are having are specific to you.

The current hardware is
ARK IPC-2U2055 Black 2U Rackmount Server Chassis
450W PSU
ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
Intel i3-3240 W/Default cooling
2 x 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
4 x Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB HDDs in Raid 1+0
1 Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB HDD used for the OS.

The PSU is old but reliable. It was bought sometime in 2006.
The rest of the hard was bought for this build on Nov/14/2013

I don't remember what the previous hardware was other than it was LGA 775, and the one before that was Socket 478. All of the systems have had the OS corruption issue.

the DHCP thing, does it work with a static IP or not?
It works fine with a static IP.

PS
DHCP is set to hand out addresses in the range of 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.149
When I assign a static IP it is not in the range DHCP hands out. If I'm using DCHP to assign a static IP it's still not in the .100-.149 range

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'd start by running memtest on your memory. Since that board doesn't support ECC memory you need to rule that out before you go any further.

I'd start by running memtest on your memory. Since that board doesn't support ECC memory you need to rule that out before you go any further.
I can run memtest, but I doubt the memory is the issue. Other OSes run fine on the same hardware without corruption. I used the system before this one that had the same issue with FreeNAS with Windows for years without issue. now that's it's no longer in use I'm not sure if it's the LGA 775 system in my old/spare parts stash or if I gave it away.

PS
I think I also used the system I'm now using for Windows Server 2012 R2 for FreeNAS for a while with the same kind of OS corruption issues. WS2012 has been running on that system without issue with the same install since 2013 almost 24/7.

I don't remember what PSU it has.
It's hardware
ASUS M4A87TD EVO/USB3
AMD 1100T
4 x 4 GB DDR3 1600MHz
EVGA Geforce GT 620
Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 80GB 2.5" HDD for the OS.
2 x 1.5TB Seagate ST1500DM003 in RAID-0 for game servers. Currently it has 2 ARK: Survival, Killing Floor 2, and Minecraft servers.

PPS
Maybe after I get the data off the current raid I will switch to Windows 10.

While I'm not going to try it I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 month old hardware in my gaming PC doesn't have the same corruption issue if the hardware is supported by FreeBSD.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I can run memtest, but I doubt the memory is the issue. Other OSes run fine on the same hardware without corruption. I used the system before this one that had the same issue with FreeNAS with Windows for years without issue. now that's it's no longer in use I'm not sure if it's the LGA 775 system in my old/spare parts stash or if I gave it away.

PS
I think I also used the system I'm now using for Windows Server 2012 R2 for FreeNAS for a while with the same kind of OS corruption issues. WS2012 has been running on that system without issue with the same install since 2013 almost 24/7.

I don't remember what PSU it has.
It's hardware
ASUS M4A87TD EVO/USB3
AMD 1100T
4 x 4 GB DDR3 1600MHz
EVGA Geforce GT 620
Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 80GB 2.5" HDD for the OS.
2 x 1.5TB Seagate ST1500DM003 in RAID-0 for game servers. Currently it has 2 ARK: Survival, Killing Floor 2, and Minecraft servers.

PPS
Maybe after I get the data off the current raid I will switch to Windows 10.

While I'm not going to try it I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 month old hardware in my gaming PC doesn't have the same corruption issue if the hardware is supported by FreeBSD.
You seem to be much smarter than most of the people here and are the only person having problems so you can figure them out on your own.

If you come to the conclusion that you want help fell free to post some error messages and screenshots of things not working.

You seem to be much smarter than most of the people here and are the only person having problems so you can figure them out on your own.

If you come to the conclusion that you want help fell free to post some error messages and screenshots of things not working.

The last time it stopped working it went from working with jail corruption, all of file sharing services not working, and reporting an odd version to not booting at all after a reset the next day. I verified the hardware after that, but I didn't have the money to buy a single HDD that would work to hold everything that is on the system. There were no error messages.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What does the word corruption mean to you? That is a very generic way to describe a problem. If your jails had corruption and they are in your pool then you have hdds that failed and you dropped below your protection level.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The PSU is old but reliable. It was bought sometime in 2006.
But is it? That's a positively ancient PSU and it would account for all sorts of weird and wonderful behavior.

And the rest of the system is a bit far from what is recommended (see the Hardware Recommendations Guide, linked in my sig).

What does the word corruption mean to you? That is a very generic way to describe a problem. If your jails had corruption and they are in your pool then you have hdds that failed and you dropped below your protection level.

Parts of the OS stop working. Settings don't save, or have changed for no apparent reason. Like FreeNAS itself forgetting what version it is, and running into problems from that.

Before you say well someone else changed the settings. No one else had access to settings. I do not use a password that is simple, or the same password for more than one site. I have an encrypted password database that doesn't use a simple password. It's also locked when I'm not using it. Feel free to try and guess the password I used.

But is it? That's a positively ancient PSU and it would account for all sorts of weird and wonderful behavior.

And the rest of the system is a bit far from what is recommended (see the Hardware Recommendations Guide, linked in my sig).
So you're trying to tell me that the OS is on the DATA drives now? Yes one drive failed and it was replace and the raid rebuilt the next day. Ya because a power supply that tests good under load using a tested accurate multimeter is definitely bad....

Other than ECC RAM which is made to sound more important than it is in my situation the hardware meets the requirements for the load it's being given.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So you're trying to tell me that the OS is on the DATA drives now?
What does that have to do with anything?

Ya because a power supply that tests good under load using a tested accurate multimeter is definitely bad....
If all that mattered was the DC measurement, the ATX standard wouldn't have specifications for all sorts of other measurements.

You said it yourself, your systems have been less than stable.

Other than ECC RAM which is made to sound more important than it is
How do you know you haven't been suffering from memory errors?

If all you are going to do is berate me, accuse me of things, and not actually offer any help close the thread. I'm not going to argue with you, and I don't need to put up with these insults, and accusations. I know how file storage works, and I don't need to prove it to you.

It's not like I'm short on drive space. I have 6.5TB usable in my gaming PC, well 10GB short of 6.5TB. If you include the 6TB from the current raid configuration in file server, and the drives that are not in use there is abour 25-30TB of storage.

It wouldn't surprise me if you try to tell me my gaming PC has problems, and needs to be better. Maybe because it can't run GTAV at 4k with a constant 120 FPS, or calculate 2.5B decimal places of PI faster than 120 seconds it's a horrible computer.

What does that have to do with anything?
You're trying to blame the OS corruption on drive failure so unless the FreeNAS OS is on the data drives that is not the case. Everything about all the drives that FreeNAS has been installed on checked out after it. Every part in those systems worked or has worked with no issues for years being used 24/7.

If all that mattered was the DC measurement, the ATX standard wouldn't have specifications for all sorts of other measurements.
Because dimensions, thread size/pitch, and a few other things are things you need to test to determine if a PSU works correctly or is reliable. They are in the ATX specifications after all. Does that mean I need to buy a micrometer to measure the thing to make sure the case is in spec?

You said it yourself, your systems have been less than stable.
Only when running FreeNAS every other OS has 0 issues. That is exactly what I said. The only OS that has any issues, on any system is FreeNAS.

How do you know you haven't been suffering from memory errors?
How do you know I have? The only thing with issues is the FreeNAS OS. None of the files have been damage or corrupted. I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of ECC RAM. It depends on the situation, usage, and demand weither ECC is needed or not.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is absurd. You have mysterious issues that nobody else has, yet refuse to listen when told that certain components common to your builds might be at fault.

I don't need to put up with these insults, and accusations
You have not been insulted by anyone. The worst accusation made is that your hardware is less than ideal - which is an objective fact that you refuse to seriously consider.

If you prefer to treat your hardware like an infallible sacred cow, that's your choice. Don't expect any magic software updates to fix your problems, though.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This is clearly not a request for help thread. Look back at all his posts and not once did he ask a question or request help, he's just here to complain.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
My last post wasn't very constructive, so I'll try to be more so. @aDigitalPhantom, here are some relevant facts you should probably consider if you actually want help with the issues you're apparently having:
  • FreeBSD, in general, is a stable, robust operating system. System uptimes of many months, or even years, are common.
  • FreeNAS specifically is also a stable, robust operating system. It is not completely bug-free (no software is), but a great many users, on a wide variety of hardware, have it running reliably. Anecdotally, in about five years of running FreeNAS (including on some very-suboptimal hardware), I've had only one occasion where the system went down without a specific hardware issue.
  • Dodgy power supplies are a frequent source of instability--in this forum alone, you can find dozens of examples of this being the case.
  • Dodgy RAM is also a frequent cause of instability.
  • The fact that your PSU puts out rated voltage under load does not mean it's compliant with the other relevant electrical specs (and your reference to thread pitch and hole spacing frankly makes you look like an argumentative jackass rather than someone who's actually interested in solving problems).
Given the first and second points, it's very likely that the source of your problems is with your hardware. We can probably help narrow it down, but not if your immediate response to every suggestion is "no, it can't be that."

Status
Not open for further replies.