Upgrade from Transmission 2.9.4 to 3.0.0 in custom jail failed, did something change with the packages?

Mannekino

Patron
I have Transmission running in a custom jail (not installed via Plugins) and tried to update it today. After running pkg update and pkg upgrade and finishing the process Transmission stopped working. I saw it was trying to upgrade to version 3.00. After the upgrade the command service transmission start no longer worked and Transmission was no longer running.

So I tried to install Transmission again by typing pkg install transmission but that didn't work either. I reverted back to a snapshot I made prior to the upgrade and tried to upgrade again. Now I noticed during the upgrade process it asked if I wanted to upgrade these packages.
  • transmission
  • transmission-cli
  • transmission-daemon
  • transmission-gtk
  • transmission-web
But after pressing yes it started the proces and at the end I got another question where some Transmission packages would be installed and a couple other removed. I didn't fully understand so proceeded to accept. Because Transmission would no longer start I figured I would try to install transmission-daemon again. When I did this it asked me if I wanted to uninstall transmission and transmission-cli. I went ahead and did that and now everything seems to be working again.

So what happened with the upgrade from 2.9.4 to 3.00? Did packages get renamed, or did the entire structure of Transmission installation change? Am I good to go now or do I need to do anything else?

Last edited:

dak180

Patron

Mannekino

Patron
Thank you, I don't fully understand that thread. But in the end everything seems to be working fine with installing the package transmission-daemon.

Jedrek

Explorer
Like a friend, I installed Transmission 3.0.0 as jail. It works very well as long as there is no intense download. Then, after some time, the entire TrueNas server and jails are cut off from the LAN. Only restarting with the power button helps. I set the download and upload parameters to about 50% of bandwidth and there is no improvement, also I reduced the maximum number of peers to about 50 and peers per toreent to 5. Nothing helps.
Please help.

Alecmascot

Guru
Like a friend, I installed Transmission 3.0.0 as jail. It works very well as long as there is no intense download. Then, after some time, the entire TrueNas server and jails are cut off from the LAN. Only restarting with the power button helps. I set the download and upload parameters to about 50% of bandwidth and there is no improvement, also I reduced the maximum number of peers to about 50 and peers per toreent to 5. Nothing helps.
Please help.
Sounds like a Realtek NIC issue ?
Hardware Spec ?

Jedrek

Explorer
Yes, my motherboard has two network cards: Intel and Realtek (GA-H97N-WIFI v. 1.1), but only Realtek is able to wake up: Wake-On-LAN, so I don't use an Intel card. I have a question - can quality work around the Realtek network adapter problem?

Alecmascot

Guru

Jedrek

Explorer
Sorry, my mistake:
" I have a question - is there any way to get around the Realtek network adapter problem? "

Alecmascot

Guru
Sorry, my mistake:
" I have a question - is there any way to get around the Realtek network adapter problem? "
no

Jedrek

Explorer
But changing your network card from Realtek to Intel should help? I will try.