Updating iocage jail release (11.2 => 11.2 Updates)

Mannekino

Patron
That doesn't seem to be the same issue I'm having, when I run this:

Code:
root@plexmediaserver:~ # freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p4

It still shows up with p4 and on my recenltly installed FreeNAS test server I'm on p9.

My FreeNAS server is fully up to date and so is my jail.

rmccullough

Patron

rmccullough

Patron
@Mannekino this is what I get:
Code:
root@freenas[~]# freebsd-version
11.2-STABLE
[root@plex /]# freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p2

The first command was running from root on the box, the 2nd from within my plex jail.

The WebUI Dashboard reports this as FreeNAS Version: FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1

I think the issue is that I have not fetched an updated "Release" for iocage:
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 1.34.34 PM.png

Anyone know how to download updates for the "Release" menu when creating a Jail?

Mannekino

Patron
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. It indeed looks like there is no fetched release for the latest "patch version", is that the correct term?

If I edit my jail I can only select the p4 fetched version. There is no button to fetch a new release. Maybe this can be done from the command line.

1550176879823.png

rmccullough

Patron
Submitted 75343. I am making it private for the time being as I plan to attach a system debug file.

rmccullough

Patron
So I ran this:
Code:
root@freenas[~]# iocage fetch
[0] 11.1
[1] 0
[2] RELEASE
[3] 10.2-RELEASE (EOL)
[1] 0

Type the number of the desired RELEASE
Press [Enter] to fetch the default selection: (11.2-RELEASE)
Type EXIT to quit:

No idea what the 2 entries with "0" are, or why [1] is listed twice...
What is option "[2] RELEASE"?
What happens if I fetch 11.2-RELEASE?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What does the update button in the GUI actually do?
I appears to update the patch level of the jail.

Lets try this again. First the jail as it is now.
Code:
root@unifi:/ # freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p6

Same thing shows in the GUI

jail.png

Lets hit the update button in the GUI now. After a short period we get this:

Code:
root@unifi:/ # freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p9

The GUI still shows patch level p6 but it obviously has been updated as indicated by running freebsd-version from within the jail using putty. So yes the update button does work but there is obviously a bug with the GUI displaying the incorrect version.

Mannekino

Patron
Yes, I tried that already (multiple times) but it doesn't work. It still shows as 11.2-RELEASE-p4 inside the jail when running the freebsd-version command.

Nvious1

Explorer
I have this working.

Code:
iocage fetch -r 11.2-RELEASE 
iocage update <jailName>
#after that
iocage console <jailName>
freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p9

I have been able to update my jails that were built against -p6 release to -p9. There is a bug in the gui that doesn't seem to update what release its on but if you build new jails they show up as -p9. Also you can see inside the jail it is p9 as well.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes, I tried that already (multiple times) but it doesn't work.
I understand. I was merely demonstrating that it does actually work and why I posted previously that if it wasn't working that a bug report should be filed but as @Jurgen Segaert mentioned it appears that it's already been reported.

Nvious1

Explorer
I am hoping when 11.2-U2 drops they will have updated iocage binary cause the docs are all in this 1.2 beta and 11.2-U1 is still rocking some kind of 1.0 alpha build.

So I ran this:
Code:
root@freenas[~]# iocage fetch
[0] 11.1
[1] 0
[2] RELEASE
[3] 10.2-RELEASE (EOL)
[1] 0

Type the number of the desired RELEASE
Press [Enter] to fetch the default selection: (11.2-RELEASE)
Type EXIT to quit:

The issue with the garbled menu has also been reported and is fixed upstream: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/64080

As a workaround, you can just use the command iocage fetch -r 11.2-RELEASE to fetch the latest patch level of the 11.2 release and that should bring all your base jails (plugins) to the latest patch-level.
As was stated previously, the GUI and/or iocage list -l may not correctly reflect the actual patch level due to issue 59442 but when in doubt, you can run freebsd-version inside your jail. ;)

Mannekino

Patron
I have this working.

Code:
iocage fetch -r 11.2-RELEASE
iocage update <jailName>
#after that
iocage console <jailName>
freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p9

I have been able to update my jails that were built against -p6 release to -p9. There is a bug in the gui that doesn't seem to update what release its on but if you build new jails they show up as -p9. Also you can see inside the jail it is p9 as well.

Thanks, this worked for me. Although after updating I no longer had nano working which I previously installed. Is there any way to keep the packages I install in a jail after updating?

rmccullough

Patron
Ok, using the "Update" menu item in the UI seems to have caused my jails that were not created via plugins to update. The plugin jails were updated when I used the commands @Mannekino provided. They still report the old release in the UI, but running iocage exec <jail> freebsd-version reports the "P9" update.

Mannekino

Patron
Yep, looks like we're experiecing the exact same problem. Well everything is all up to date now for me. I also ran pkg update && pkg ugprade after fetching and updating the jails. It still upgraded a bunch of packages.

Mannekino

Patron
@rmccullough just noticed something, I want to learn what Sonarr is and how I could use it. So I just installed it and Sonarr is listed with p9 in the GUI. Presumably because I manually fetched the new jail release on Friday..

raidflex

Guru
Yeah the jails are now updating properly on 11.2U2 but the GUI still displays the older version. While it really should be fixed so people are not confused, at least the jails are updating properly. I would imagine by 11.3 it will be fixed.