Update Plex Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejamesk

Explorer
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone knows a safe/recommended method for updating the Plex Plugin from version 1.13.4.5271 to version 1.13.5.5291 I am using FreeNAS Version 11.2BETA-3

Thanks in advance

kdragon75

Wizard
If the plugin is not updated, there is no good way to do it. This is the reason many people build a jail from scratch and install from pkg or ports. Dig around, I know there are a few guides on this as Plex is a hot topic around here.

Scrat_

Explorer
Disable the iocage repo, enable the FreeBSD repo and then you can use pkg to update Plex.
How? I'm asking for educational reasons at this point. I'm relatively new to FreeNAS.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

thejamesk

Explorer
How often is the FreeNAS Plugin directory updated? Upon checking the release log for Plex I'm not too desperate to update but of course would hate to miss out on major bug fixes and feature releases.

Rusty!

Dabbler
I think it follows the quarterly cycle.

To switch repos you need to edit both iocage.conf and FreeBSD.conf in/usr/local/etc/repos

Also ensure that /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf is set to latest.

indivision

Guru

ovizii

Patron
Would you be up to posting a step-by-step guide on how to do this for those of us that are FreeBSD challenged?
To be honest, its all explained in that file but in broad steps, from memory:
jls to find the plex container
jexec into it
make a directory to hold the PMSUpdater script and download it with wget
edit it with i.e. nano to adapt to your needs.
then create a cronjob to run daily with crontab.

If that does not help, I'll check after work at home and give more details.

kdragon75

Wizard
jexec into it

Thats for warden right? He's on 11.2BETA3. If he installed the plugin from the new UI its the new iocage jail format.

ovizii

Patron
Thats for warden right? He's on 11.2BETA3. If he installed the plugin from the new UI its the new iocage jail format.
Sorry. my fault. I'm still on an older version but the only thing that should change is the way to access a jail. So basically replace jls and jexec with whatever the new methods would be, the rest should still be correct.

kdragon75

Wizard
I think he's looking for "copy and past" simple... All he needs to do is A sit on his hands for a few weeks, or B build a new jail and instal Plex from either pkg or ports. There are !TONS! of threads about this already and even a few guides!

indivision

Guru
jexec into it

Thank you. I can access it through the GUI shell. Though it doesn't seem to have a "paste" feature like the old UI.

I'm not sure what URL I need to use for wget and any flags/options?

For cron, are you setting that up within the jail? Or, a cron task in the top level UI pointing to the script within the jail?

indivision

Guru
I think he's looking for "copy and past" simple... All he needs to do is A sit on his hands for a few weeks, or B build a new jail and instal Plex from either pkg or ports. There are !TONS! of threads about this already and even a few guides!

I have built Plex from pkg on the old system. And no, guides for doing that were not easy to find even back then. Is that process exactly the same with the new system? Because I have created a new jail, log in, and neither pkg or ports are there. I understand why they are not there by default. But, I have no idea how to install them.

This is the second time recently that someone has referred to the millions of threads and guides. Yet, I can go back several pages here in the threads. I see many that are poking around similar subjects. But, not the information that I need.

Perhaps it would make sense to sticky a post with links to commonly needed guides. OR, even better would be if the FreeNAS team would compile official versions of these guides that many people need.

8-bit Yoda

Explorer
Perhaps it would make sense to sticky a post with links to commonly needed guides

Have you seen the "top resources" in the resources section? Click it and scroll to the "Plex" section.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

upload_2018-9-17_10-16-25.png

kdragon75

Wizard
I have built Plex from pkg on the old system. And no, guides for doing that were not easy to find even back then. Is that process exactly the same with the new system? Because I have created a new jail, log in, and neither pkg or ports are there. I understand why they are not there by default. But, I have no idea how to install them.

This is the second time recently that someone has referred to the millions of threads and guides. Yet, I can go back several pages here in the threads. I see many that are poking around similar subjects. But, not the information that I need.

Perhaps it would make sense to sticky a post with links to commonly needed guides. OR, even better would be if the FreeNAS team would compile official versions of these guides that many people need.
the basic setup of a jail is covered in the User Guide. Once the jail is up, installing Plex via pkg install plexmediaserver should work as it always has (since it made it into the FreeBSD repos).
Yet, I can go back several pages here in the threads. I see many that are poking around similar subjects. But, not the information that I need.
Using google to search "FreeNAS install Plex in a jail" is probably a better way of finding what you need.

kdragon75

Wizard
Once you have that, search "FreeNAS Plex permissions"

Skro

Contributor
I used this in both 11.1-u4 and 11.1-u6 to create a plxpass jail using iocage, which should hopefully survive update to 11.2 when ready:

iocage create --basejail --release=11.1-RELEASE --name=Plex bpf=yes vnet=on dhcp=on

iocage fstab -a Plex "/path/to your/media /media nullfs rw 0 0"

iocage start Plex

jls

jexec [plex jail#] csh

portsnap fetch

portsnap extract

portsnap update

cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/ && make install clean

sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES

service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

indivision

Guru
Have you seen the "top resources" in the resources section? Click it and scroll to the "Plex" section.

Thank you. I haven't seen that. I think it would help to make another category called "Guides".

the basic setup of a jail is covered in the User Guide. Once the jail is up, installing Plex via pkg install plexmediaserver should work as it always has (since it made it into the FreeBSD repos).

It looks like I have set it up with the correct IP address now. They should pre-populate (or hide if possible as advanced setup) the IPv4 interface and IPv4 Netmask dropdowns in the add jail wizard.

The pkg command is working this time. Thank you. I did that before and it gave an error. Something about not having the repos set up or available. This probably had to do with the network settings being off.

kdragon75

Wizard
Oh just the cross posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.