Unreadable sectors. Can I replace a 265 GB drive with a 240 GB drive? Which SSD to get?

peterge

Explorer
1644322673155.png

Hey all,
once again a drive of my SCALE system shows failed blocks on a drive. 6 months after I bought them.
It's a 256GB Intenso 3812440 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s MLC (3812440) drive.
While I was looking for a new drive, I came across these datacenter drives: Samsung OEM Datacenter SSD PM883 240 GB, SATA
Sounds promising with MLC, 300mio h and 5 years warranty. The problem: They are only 240 GB, my boot pool is on 256 GB. Can I replace one with the Samsung Datacenter ones? I guess not, I have to shrink the pool first. Is this very complex?

Otherwise, which SSD can you recommend? Looking for under €100. My favorite is currently a Samsung SSD 860 PRO 256 GB, SATA.

Etorix

Wizard
A larger drive would be no issue, but a smaller one will not be accepted. Since this is the boot pool, just save the configuration file to your desktop, discard the failing drive, install TrueNAS anew on the blank 240 GB and load the configuration file. Done!

I recommend any cheap small SSD you can find. (But your case maybe illustrates that old MLC SSDs can and will eventually wear out.)
I grabbed a handful of Optane M10 16 GB when I found these for 10 E apiece…

peterge

Explorer
A larger drive would be no issue, but a smaller one will not be accepted. Since this is the boot pool, just save the configuration file to your desktop, discard the failing drive, install TrueNAS anew on the blank 240 GB and load the configuration file. Done!

I recommend any cheap small SSD you can find. (But your case maybe illustrates that old MLC SSDs can and will eventually wear out.)
I grabbed a handful of Optane M10 16 GB when I found these for 10 E apiece…
Thanks, ofc exporting and importing the config is much simpler! Did not think about this method...

I think I will go with a datacenter Samsung. Wait, intel optane is only for making your existing hdd faster, or did you install truenas on them?
My MB has no m.2 slot. It's a https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...ual-Channel-DDR4-Mini-ITX-Retail_1247287.html

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
Wait, intel optane is only for making your existing ssd faster, or did you install truenas on them?
These ridiculously small M10 were sold to be use a caching layer for HDDs, similar to Apple "Fusion Drive" (HDD + SSD), but can be used as SSDs on their own right if one does not mind the size. :wink:
(Optane 900p/905p and data centre Optane DC P4800X/P4801X/P5800X are definitively SSDs of the "damn fast!" variety. But these would be used as SLOG, definitively not for boot.)