Under Owner of Share only half of active directory users are listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Nicol

Cadet
I am relatively new to FreeNAS so please be patient. I am trying to set up 2 FreeNAS servers in my windows AD environment to use for backup. I have installed FreeNAS and have read several tutorials on setting up the Active Directory sync. As best I can tell I have followed the necessary steps. If I go to the command line and type:

wbinfo -u

It lists all the users. If I go to change the permissions of the dataset, it only lists some of the users (The first half alphabetically), About 30 of the 70 or so.

Same thing with Groups. It only gives a partial list of groups. Any thoughts?

Also, I am wondering is the only way to assign several users to the same share to create a group and assign that group to the dataset. This makes no sense to me. Any NAS product I have used in the past and windows for that matter controls permissions on the share level not the dataset level. Also you can usually share to several users individually instead of having to make a group for the users. I have also tried to create a new group and add the AD users to the group. They do not show up to add. I assume that only local users can be added to the groups on the FreeNAS and I would need to create a new group in AD.

Am I missing something. I have read and or watched upwards of 20 tutorials for creating a connection to active directory and control user access for FreeNAS. I have read through these section of the manual also. None of these things clearly show how to create this access. If someone is aware of a clear write up I would appreciate you posting a link.

Thanks very much.

Chris

D

dlavigne

Sounds like this (from http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html#change-permissions):

If more than 50 users or groups are available, the drop-down menus described in this section will automatically truncate their display to 50 for performance reasons. In this case, start to type in the desired user or group name so that the display narrows its search to matching results.

Status
Not open for further replies.