Unable to set up intel network card

Tovo

Cadet
Hi community,
I've installed Freenas 11.2-RC1 on a Dell T640 server. The network card seems to be recognized as shown below :
index.php

But, even if ethernet cables are plugged in, it still shows "no carrier". If my understanding is right, that means, the native driver doesn't fit.
This analysis seems to be confirmed by the following boot message :
index.php

I've tried to install a new driver by putting the new .ko file to /boot/kernel and by modifying the /boot/loader.conf in order to load it on the next boot.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work because, apparently, I must put my modification in a "configuration database".
Since I don't have any working network connection, I cannot access to the web interface.
My question is: how to insert these modifications into the configuration database via the CLI?
And more globally, what is the best way to make my network working?
Any help is appreciated.

Precision:
the network card is an Intel X710/X557-TA 10GB
Note: the onboard Broadom NIC 57416 doesn't even appear on ifconfig command.

Attachments

• IMG_20181025_112726.jpg
    IMG_20181025_112726.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 3,810
  • IMG_20181025_113228.jpg
    IMG_20181025_113228.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3,549

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

kdragon75

Wizard
once the module is "installed" can you use kldload to load it and manually bring up the interface? Once you can do that, you should be able to set the needed values in loader.conf via the GUI. Note that any system updates will break this as the the file will likly be erased as its not part of the base image.

Tovo

Cadet
Can the module be considered as installed if I just copied it in /boot/kernel/ directory ?
If yes, kldload doesn't work. It says:
Code:
kldload: can't load if_ixlv: module already loaded or in kernel

The file is named: if_ixlv.ko

kdragon75

Wizard
kldload doesn't work.
You may need to unload the current one first with kldunload.
If my understanding is right, that means, the native driver doesn't fit.
It could also be a bad cable, bad cards, or something else. Have you tested with a known working OS/cables/etc?
According to the FreeBSD man pages, 57416 support was no included in 11.1 but was in 11.2. Can you provide the output of lspci

bigphil

Patron
What branded adapter is this? Is this an Intel OEM or rebranded card? Next question...is it based on the x710 chip of x557? I'm leaning towards the later because the fw and nvm image combination isn't something I've seen on an x710 based card. If the later, you may need to use the ix driver and not ixl. I can find no reference in the latest ixl driver that it supports the x557...only the following:
- Intel(R) Ethernet Controller X710
- Intel(R) Ethernet Controller XL710
- Intel(R) Ethernet Network Connection X722
- Intel(R) Ethernet Controller XXV710

Also...how are you using this adapter? FreeNAS on baremetal or is this a vm that you've passed the adapter through to or trying to use sr-iov? I ask because you attempted to load the ixlv driver which is the virtual function driver used for sr-iov. If this is baremetal (or entire adapter passed through to a vm) then you should only be using the physical function driver...ix or ixl (still trying to determine which is appropriate for this adapter).

In any case, you may need an updated ix driver or ixl driver. I can help you with both, just send me a pm.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've tried to install a new driver by putting the new .ko file to /boot/kernel and by modifying the /boot/loader.conf in order to load it on the next boot.
You really need a driver (network card) that is part of the base image. FreeNAS is not intended to work this way. What are you trying to accomplish?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My question is: how to insert these modifications into the configuration database via the CLI?
You can't. The configuration database is only updated by the GUI and the GUI does not include a method for adding drivers. That is why you are supposed to look at the compatible hardware list first instead of thinking that any random hardware will just work.

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Tovo

Cadet
What branded adapter is this? Is this an Intel OEM or rebranded card? Next question...is it based on the x710 chip of x557?
It is a DELL branded adapter and yes, it's based on x710 chip (dell internal number is K5V44)

Also...how are you using this adapter? FreeNAS on baremetal or is this a vm that you've passed the adapter through to or trying to use sr-iov?
I use this adapter as a baremetal FreeNAS (my first contact with FreeNAS)
I ask because you attempted to load the ixlv driver which is the virtual function driver used for sr-iov. If this is baremetal (or entire adapter passed through to a vm) then you should only be using the physical function driver...ix or ixl (still trying to determine which is appropriate for this adapter).
Okay, I get it, I should try with the ix or ixl then.
Thanks

Tovo

Cadet
That is why you are supposed to look at the compatible hardware list first instead of thinking that any random hardware will just work.
My bad, I didn't check. I use to install FreeBSD on my NASes and, usually, it works out of the box with common Dell hardware.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My bad, I didn't check. I use to install FreeBSD on my NASes and, usually, it works out of the box with common Dell hardware.
I am not sure why you're having trouble with the specific adapters in your system. I have had both Intel and Broadcom adapters work with FreeNAS, but it is highly customised for the use and the design team did not intend to make FreeNAS as flexible as a full FreeBSD server.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Tovo

Cadet
I've booted wih linux live and here are further informations about the hardware.
Broadcom network adapter:
Code:
  *-network:0
	   description: Ethernet interface
	   product: BCM57416 NetXtreme-E Dual-Media 10G RDMA Ethernet Controller
	   vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
	   physical id: 0
	   bus info: pci@0000:18:00.0
	   logical name: eno1np0
	   version: 00
	   serial: 58:8a:5a:ec:58:e6
	   size: 100Mbit/s
	   capacity: 10Gbit/s
	   width: 64 bits
	   clock: 33MHz
	   capabilities: pm vpd msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 1000bt-fd 10000bt-fd autonegotiation
	   configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=bnxt_en driverversion=1.9.1 duplex=full firmware=20.6.151.0/pkg 20.06.05.11 ip=10.67.1.42 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
	   resources: irq:37 memory:9da10000-9da1ffff memory:9d900000-9d9fffff memory:9da22000-9da23fff memory:9de00000-9de7ffff

Intel network adapter:
Code:
 *-network:1
	   description: Ethernet interface
	   product: Ethernet Controller X710/X557-AT 10GBASE-T
	   vendor: Intel Corporation
	   physical id: 0.1
	   bus info: pci@0000:b1:00.1
	   logical name: ens8f1
	   version: 01
	   serial: 3c:fd:fe:5f:de:62
	   capacity: 10Gbit/s
	   width: 64 bits
	   clock: 33MHz
	   capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical 1000bt-fd 10000bt-fd autonegotiation
	   configuration: autonegotiation=off broadcast=yes driver=i40e driverversion=2.3.2-k firmware=6.00 0x800036d4 18.5.17 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes
	   resources: irq:212 memory:e3000000-e3ffffff memory:e5010000-e5017fff memory:e5280000-e52fffff

Tovo

Cadet
Hi again,
I just realise that, may be, the problem could be (in addition of pbkac) at the physical level of the network. Indeed, this network adapter is supposed to be 10GB and SFP and I just plugged it on a 100MB network with RJ45 cable. What do you think about it?

configuration: autonegotiation=off

If you are going to plug it into any kind of twisted pair network that is less than 10G (haven't done 10G TP yet), you will almost certainly need auto-negotiation enabled. Is that NIC capable of going below 1G? If not, it may not play at all on a 100Mb network.

Edit: Product brief does say "Multi-speed: 100 BASE-T,1000 BASE-T, and 10G BASE-T". I would think you would have to have auto negotiation enabled for sure.

kdragon75

Wizard
If the card can do 1g can teh SFP? Are you using an SFP or SFP+ Is it compatible with the card?

If the card can do 1g can teh SFP? Are you using an SFP or SFP+ Is it compatible with the card?
That is a dual media card. Unless I am misunderstanding what OP is doing, he is using a TP interface on the card and not an SFP.

Vantage

Cadet
IM running Freenas V. 11.3 bare metal using super micro X11SPM-TF motherboard, with Dual LAN with 10GBase-T with Intel® X722 + X557 on board,
Freenas recognizes them as 2x 1GB only any idea any one?