Unable to see drives on SATA controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrofrost

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm currently struggling with the addition of drives on my supermicro X10SL7-F.

I've recently bought 5 x 2TB drives to add to my current 4x1TB setup. The current 4 drives are attached to the SAS2 ports. I've attached 3 of the new 2TB drives to the same SAS2 port and the other 2 to the SATA controller. But whatever I do, I can't see the drivers that are attached to the SATA controller. Can anyone point me in the right direction? FreeNAS is installed in VMware with passthrough.

here is the overview of the drives that are seen

OYwoFer.png

the passthrough is show below

FHOJskK.png

regards,
Henk

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If I'm not mistaken you can't pass through the SATA ports.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Not in pass through mode which FreeNAS requires.

Necrofrost

Cadet
So I basically need to to get rid of vmware and use FreeNAS bare metal?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Or get an HBA and pass that through and leave your SATA ports for datastores for your VM's.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So I basically need to to get rid of vmware and use FreeNAS bare metal?
No. You can put a SAS expander on the SAS controller and get more ports that will automagically be passed through to the VM because they are part of the same controller.
If I knew more about your specific hardware, I could point you at a specific model. What chassis are you using?

One like this, for example, just needs the molex power connected and does not actually need to be in a card slot because it gets all the data passed through from the SAS cables:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Storage-Controller-RES2SV240NC-E91267-203-FREE-SHIPPING/152781398057

PS. The power either comes through the card slot or through the molex connector but not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.