Unable to see any new custom groups beyond 7

ThunderWalt

Cadet
Hi all,

I have encountered an odd issue that I haven't been able to dig up much info on.

I have been running my TrueNAS VM for a few months and recently encountered an issue where I was unable to see newly created custom groups any more in the permission sections of TrueNAS. For example, when editing the filesystem permissions for a dataset.

After struggling for a while, I built a new TrueNAS VM and was able to replicate my issue. Turns out that I'm able to see up to 7 custom groups fine in the different areas of TrueNAS, however once I create a 8th custom group, I am unable to see that 8th group, or any group after that when setting permissions. If I delete one of the original 7 groups I made, the 8th one then appears and is available for me to select.

I have no issue creating as many custom groups as I want, however no more than 7 are available at a time to select when setting permissions. This does not seem to relate the to the GID, rather the first 7 groups created.

Details of my set up are:
  • Running as a VM
  • TrueNAS version:TrueNAS-12.0-U2
  • Allocated RAM is 32GB
  • Allocated virtualised CPU is 2 Cores 24 Threads (Xeon E5-2620 v2)
  • Passthrough of LSI HBA for HDDs
Thank you for any help or guidance you can provide me with on this!

Cheers

dyener

Cadet
YES! This is exactly the issue that I have. I am running the current version TrueNAS Core 12.0-U4. Having upgraded from earlier versions (going back to 11.3), I suddenly realized my most recently-defined groups are not available to select in the ACL manager. I did not realize the number was capped at 7 until I read this post. I counted and realized the cutoff was exactly at group number 7 (GID 1006). Then I just deleted my third group (GID 1002) and suddenly GID 1007 was available in the ACL manager, but nothing higher. This is a critical problem to solve, as I will need to define over a dozen groups before putting the NAS into production, not counting the individual groups created by default for each new user. Any insight is appreciated!

It appears as though the dropdown list never finished loading past a total of 50 list members. This is also true when attempting to ad a ACL for a new local user.