Unable to Replace Failed Disk

artlessknave

Wizard
wow. we are getting Grinched, like only a resident can Grinch.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
posters on these forums should never provide negative feedback on decisions made by iX, then... ok?

Great. Because this is one of the all-time most ridiculous issues. With people deploying 10TB HDD's on average, a 2GB partition takes up 0.02% of your HDD. Multiple people have tried to bully their way through variations on this before, which has never gone anywhere, even that time that some developer showed up to talk about it, and provided some interesting information about pool import memory issues.

It's either needed or it isn't.

If it isn't needed, the 2GB is harmless.

If it is needed, the 2GB can be a lifesaver.

Since iX has already made it clear that this is how it's going to work, then the occasional poster who pops up convinced that iX is wrong about this is not going to prevail upon them to change it when the dozens preceding them didn't. And for those of us who actually end up fielding this discussion, you guys rarely just take it at face value. But I'm not an iXsystems employee. I'm trying to explain the way it is to you, and I'm not getting paid to do this. So give it a break.

My position is I am tired of discussing this issue with people who are cocksure that their analysis is correct and that arguing this here on the forums is going to result in any changes, where iX developers rarely visit anyways.

So, to summarize my perspective:

star-wars-han-solo.gif

But I still feel a responsibility to convey to you why it is the way it is, and why it's not that likely to change.