Unable to migrate VM (IOHyve to Truenas) bootloader woes

andyclimb

Contributor
You might say im stuck in the past... using FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1), every time I try to upgrade i fail and why break what is working well...

So now I'm trying to upgrade 9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1) to TrueNAS-12.0-RC1 (truenas).

I have zfs send my iohyve data set to my truenas installation.

I can create a VM using the truenas interface and select the data0 dataset as the boot volume. However I believe it is grub-bhyve not UEFI so it does not boot.
Code:
melvana            -     1    1024M  home  debian   grub-bhyve  tap3  nmdm3

If i select 'grub' as the boot loader I get the following error on start

Code:
[EFAULT] Unable to find boot devices for 6_test3 domain
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 137, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1202, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1106, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 977, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1533, in start
    self.vms[vm['name']].start(vm_data=vm)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 175, in start
    raise CallError(f'Unable to find boot devices for {self.libvirt_domain_name} domain')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Unable to find boot devices for 6_test3 domain

I have then spent the best part of 8 hrs trying to convert the volume to boot using UEFI with no success. I used Ubuntu's boot repair disk to move the partition create a 250Mb Fat32 partition, then repair it, run a bunch of tools on the volume and then restart, but for some reason it converts it to ext4 partition...

I've a bunch of VMs I'd like to move over and this is quite critical. Any help would be advised..

sretalla