Unable to log into UI from desktop but CAN from iPad

fzammetti

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm brand new to TrueNAS, just built a server tonight with it. Things are going pretty smoothly, I'm getting myself oriented, but I've hit a snag I can't seem to solve, and it's weird:

I can access the web UI from my iPad, but I can't from my desktop!

I've tried using Chrome, Edge and Firefox (latest version of all three). Two of those three are plain, brand-new installations, no extensions or anything. I've also tried it from a Windows Sandbox using Edge, so an out-of-the-box Windows experience, as well as from an entirely different machine. I've disabled all antivirus and firewalls. But in none of them does it work. The experience is the same: I get a black screen with the popup saying "Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network." for 5-10 seconds, then I get the login screen. I enter credentials, get no error saying it's wrong, but then it just shows the login form with the status bar going on top forever, never goes anywhere else.

But, from my iPad, no problem! I get right in, everything works, no delays or anything at all. Just totally weird. It also works fine from my Android phone.

I've seen a few other posts describing similar issues, but nothing exactly matching my experience. I DID try enabling HTTP->HTTPS redirect since I saw that mentioned, but that just makes matters worse: I no longer even get the login screen, it just keeps trying to connect but never does (but it DOES still work from the iPad).

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on? It's not a dealbreaker, but it definitely makes it less convenient to manage the thing.

Thanks!
Frank

fzammetti

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm brand new to TrueNAS, just built a server tonight with it. Things are going pretty smoothly, I'm getting myself oriented, but I've hit a snag I can't seem to solve, and it's weird:

I can access the web UI from my iPad, but I can't from my desktop!

I've tried using Chrome, Edge and Firefox (latest version of all three). Two of those three are plain, brand-new installations, no extensions or anything. I've also tried it from a Windows Sandbox using Edge, so an out-of-the-box Windows experience, as well as from an entirely different machine. I've disabled all antivirus and firewalls. But in none of them does it work. The experience is the same: I get a black screen with the popup saying "Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network." for 5-10 seconds, then I get the login screen. I enter credentials, get no error saying it's wrong, but then it just shows the login form with the status bar going on top forever, never goes anywhere else.

But, from my iPad, no problem! I get right in, everything works, no delays or anything at all. Just totally weird. It also works fine from my Android phone.

I've seen a few other posts describing similar issues, but nothing exactly matching my experience. I DID try enabling HTTP->HTTPS redirect since I saw that mentioned, but that just makes matters worse: I no longer even get the login screen, it just keeps trying to connect but never does (but it DOES still work from the iPad).

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on? It's not a dealbreaker, but it definitely makes it less convenient to manage the thing.

Thanks!
Frank
Forgot to mention, this is using version 13.0-U1.1, and hardware is a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard with 4Gb RAM (I know that's below the minimum, but I've still got better than half showing as free) with a Crucial BX500 SSD as the boot device and a Hitachi 4Tb HD currently as a single-drive pool (redundancy isn't a concern for my use case and like I said, just getting started, so haven't put all the drives in yet).

Also FYI, I'm seeing some Websocket errors in the browser dev console when trying to log in. For example:

main-es2016.345644bcd8ec37b11f7b.js:1 WebSocket connection to 'ws://192.168.1.202/websocket' failed: One or more reserved bits are on: reserved1 = 0, reserved2 = 0, reserved3 = 1

That might be a red herring, but figured I'd mention it since it seems like it could be problematic depending on how the login flow works.

homer27081990

Patron
You have a different Default Gateway for IPv4, either on your Desktop (set up static IPv4 and forgot about it?) or in TrueNAS Global Network configuration.

homer27081990

Patron
1. Set Desktop to DCHP, for both IPv4 and IPv6 (Not DHCP here, just says automatic)
2. In TrueNAS ->
-Default Gateway -> IPv4 of your router
-IP -> set one outside of the DHCP range of the router. Or change the range in the DHCP server of the router.
-Netmask->Should universally be 255.255.255.0 (or /24 in CIDR format)
-DNS->Either your router, a custom DNS server of your own, or a public one, like GoogleDNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.) or CloudflareDNS (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1)
save and restart