Unable to get create new, custom jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailstorm

Dabbler
I searched the forums. Their problems are different from mine.

So, I wanted to create a new jail. I have the .tgz file on my computer and it will be served via FTP. On FreeNAS, this is what I have for the jail template:

Name: test
Arch: x86
URL: ftp://username : password@ftpserverip/test.tgz

The space is there so the smilie doesn't show up.
It says the template was created successfully. So now I go to create the jail with the new template. On my FTP server I get this. It uploads, then stops immediately. On the FreeNAS side, it doesn't show anything progressed, after about a minute or 2 it will say "Unable to find template!". Now, another thing is, if I were to try again, FreeNAS wont even try to make a connection to the FTP server. It will say "Can't find template!" right away. I have to delete the template, then remake it for freenas to connect to the ftp server again.

When I try to make the virtualbox jail, that works from what I can see. It downloads the file and does what it do. But it can't get my file for whatever reason.

Notes: Running 'warden template list' shows I have 0 templates. But I obviously do, I have 2.

Also a question but not a very important one. I upgraded from 9.2.something to 9.3 and my cifs transfer speeds dropped by 8MBp/s. I went from 94-98MBp/s down to 88-90 MBp/s. Any reason for this?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

To be honest, there have been very few (if any) users that have used the make your own template function, so it is quite possible that you have found a bug or have a config issue. Unfortunately, jails development has stopped in the 9.x series in prep for 10 release, which is supposed to change how plugins/jails work. I don't know if custom templates will be included as an option in 10.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You're trying to install and run a Linux jail?

Linux support was pulled in 9.3 release

Mailstorm

Dabbler
You're trying to install and run a Linux jail?

Linux support was pulled in 9.3 release

Reading the release notes and it mentions nothing about pulling support for them.

To be honest, there have been very few (if any) users that have used the make your own template function, so it is quite possible that you have found a bug or have a config issue. Unfortunately, jails development has stopped in the 9.x series in prep for 10 release, which is supposed to change how plugins/jails work. I don't know if custom templates will be included as an option in 10.
Well darn. That sucks. Any idea on a estimated release month? I haven't been with the freenas community for long so I don't know the gap between upcoming release and the actual release.

zoomzoom

Guru
Reading the release notes and it mentions nothing about pulling support for them.
Per Reddit:

"Here's a statement from the documentation

'The Linux jail templates have been removed as they were too experimental and limited to 32-bit. Instead, use the VirtualBox template, which installs a web-based instance of phpVirtualBox, and use that to install the desired Linux distro or any other operating system.'"

http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_intro.html

Status
Not open for further replies.