UFS Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny3

Dabbler
I know that it's possible to use GELI with UFS, but is there any way to make this happen using FreeNAS?

My use case is that I want to mount an eSATA drive as a backup device, but would like whole disk encryption on that drive. Preferably using the same key/passphrase as my encrypted ZFS pool.

Dusan

Guru
My use case is that I want to mount an eSATA drive as a backup device, but would like whole disk encryption on that drive. Preferably using the same key/passphrase as my encrypted ZFS pool.
What prevents you from using ZFS on the eSATA drive too? ZFS gives you also additional benefits -- integrity checking via checksums and you can use snapshots & replication to perform quick incremental backups.

Kenny3

Dabbler
I suppose I should go back to considering using ZFS. My only thought was ZFS's compatibility with another system (linux/freebsd/freenas virtualized inside of OS X) should my NAS go up in a fire.

Dusan

Guru
geli encryption is specific to FreeBSD, so if you decide to go with encrypted UFS your compatibility options will be exactly the same as with ZFS.

Kenny3

Dabbler
Ah. Didn't know that; still new to BSD.

I think I'll have to give ZFS a shot. Time to dig through those threads on FreeNAS in a VM...

Kenny3

Dabbler
One other quick question. I have created a new ZFS volume with just the one drive, but how do I make it use the same key as my main volume? I'm not seeing anything in the GUI to allow this. Should I dive into the command line options?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There are no GUI options. I'm not even sure if you can do it from the command line...

Status
Not open for further replies.