Ubuntu virtual machine housing SABNZB, Sick Rage and Plex library on NFS share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estropelic

Contributor
So I was tinkering around and came up with the following setup and I'm curious to see what others did in this scenario. My goal was to have a virtual machine running and have most of the storage hosted in my Raid Pool. I wanted to keep as much disk space allocated to the virtual machine for system processes.

Here's what I have installed:
Ubuntu 16 on a bhyve virtual machine.
6 GIGS of ram
50 Gigs of virtual HD
I have the following running on the box:
Couch Potato
SABNZBD
SickRage
Plex

Heres where things get interesting. I pointed my Plex media library back to a share on my Raid pool and things went downhill from there. My Share eventually goes offline as the library is building. Anyone else have thoughts/suggestions for this issue? I'm almost tempted to move back to a Windows VM for easier administration but went the free Ubuntu route.

Artion

Patron
So I was tinkering around and came up with the following setup and I'm curious to see what others did in this scenario. My goal was to have a virtual machine running and have most of the storage hosted in my Raid Pool. I wanted to keep as much disk space allocated to the virtual machine for system processes.

Here's what I have installed:
Ubuntu 16 on a bhyve virtual machine.
6 GIGS of ram
50 Gigs of virtual HD
I have the following running on the box:
Couch Potato
SABNZBD
SickRage
Plex

Heres where things get interesting. I pointed my Plex media library back to a share on my Raid pool and things went downhill from there. My Share eventually goes offline as the library is building. Anyone else have thoughts/suggestions for this issue? I'm almost tempted to move back to a Windows VM for easier administration but went the free Ubuntu route.
Hi, what kind of share you set up? Smb, nfs, iscsi?

Inviato dal mio A8 utilizzando Tapatalk

Estropelic

Contributor
I started with a SMB share because I was familiar setting up and mapping to my fstab file. I ran into the share errors and decided to switch to NFS because I heard NFS has performance improvements over SMB. I started having issues mapping NFS so I gave up at the moment. :)

Estropelic

Contributor
Is there a virtual machine OS host of choice for running this type of setup? I'm tempted to go back to Jails, although I would prefer another option as Jails are not updated as often.

diedrichg

Wizard
as Jails are not updated as often.
as *plugins

I would go the self-made jail route. Create a standard jail and install the programs through the pkg command. You can see the version status and pkg install name on freshports.org

charlie89

Explorer
I would run everything in a VM, except heavy-IO apps like sabnzbd.

Here is my experience on my Freenas system where the VMs, jails and downloads folder reside on a mirrored SSD pool:
Sabnzbd in the VM having all Downloads (including temporary ones) on the nfs share meant very slow extraction speeds and even my downloads (i have a 200Mb/s line) were significantly more unstable in speed and during extraction they only reached 10-20% of what would be possible.
I even experienced hangs and errors in programs because databases located on a network share don't play well.
That's why i installed sabnzbd in a jail, where I experience absolutely no slowdown while a download is extracting.

I run Plex and Sickrage and many other things via docker in an Ubuntu VM. My movie collection is mounted via nfs (smb should work also) into this VM, all other files like the docker containers and the plex and sickrage config folders are located inside the VM. This way, there is just some read access on the nfs share, which has no problems any more since the share doesn't get jammed by that much read/write requests any more.

If you are going to run stuff that can already be installed on FreeNAS then why not just run it in a jail. It's the most direct way, uses less resources and is simple. No matter what the VM will be slower since you have to set the number of cores and amount of ram to less than what the system has.

I have multiple jails including Plex running and Plex can do a scan of the media in a matter of minutes when doing a first build and I am sitting at around almost 1400 files. I also have a fairly large TV and Music collection and it just chews through that as well.

Instead of doing things the most complex way possible, go read up on the jails and the PKG system. If you don't want to do that go to the plugins and click install then configure.

Status
Not open for further replies.