FreeNAS 11.2 - Plex cannot find Media to add to Library

Hello,

I recently set up a FreeNAS box to serve as my Plex server. I followed the guide on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaiBWJ2r2Hg

This was originally set up under FreeNAS 11. I moved to 11.2 to see if it was a possible bug with that version that had been fixed.

I've encountered an issue others seem to have run into an issue many others seem to have had as well, but I've yet to find a solution. When initially configuring Plex, I cannot find my Media store to add any of the subfolders as a library. I have verified the store has guest access via an SMB share, I can download to it using SABNzbd for example from a different machine via Sonarr/Radarr. However, Plex itself cannot see the folder, even after verifying it is configured as a mount point in that jail as shown below.

upload_2018-7-15_18-50-21.png

When I attempt to add the folder in Plex, I only see this:

upload_2018-7-15_18-51-52.png
upload_2018-7-15_18-50-21.png upload_2018-7-15_18-51-52.png

ryanakata

Explorer
You have to manually type the file path. You usually cannot navigate it through the tree.

For mine I just had to type /media/movies.

Of course this depends on how you mounted your storage.

Roger Mahler

Dabbler
I am having a similar problem - and am feeling a little dim on this one. same scenario -

Source: /mnt/N2/MyMovies

Destination: /mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media

and in the freenas add folder field I put /mnt/N2/MyMovies and I get "There are no items in the library"

I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I am on FreeNAS-11.2-BETA2

any help would be greatly appreciated.

roger...

diskdiddler

Wizard
I am having a similar problem - and am feeling a little dim on this one. same scenario -

Source: /mnt/N2/MyMovies

Destination: /mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media

and in the freenas add folder field I put /mnt/N2/MyMovies and I get "There are no items in the library"

I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I am on FreeNAS-11.2-BETA2

any help would be greatly appreciated.

roger...

Roger,

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you've got it backwards.
The path you should be choosing within the plugin / jail is

/media/ and that's it

You're mapping the "real" path on your NAS from
/mnt/N2/MyMovies
into
/mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media

Let me throw another example to you.

SOURCE =
/mnt/ARRAY/media/Television Shows/Japanese Stuff
DESTINATION =
/mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/

This means the entire contents of "Japanese Stuff" would appear simply in /media/ within the jail.

Does that make sense?

You can even make folders, inside the jail and then map, per folder inside the jail to different locations, example
Make 2 folders here
/mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media
TV & Movies

Now you have
/mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/Movies
/mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/TV

You could then do:

SOURCE:
/mnt/N2/Media/Movies
DEST:

&

SOURCE:
/mnt/N2/Media/Movies
DEST:

Then inside the jail you have 2 diff locations to work with, TV and Movies, within the media folder.

EDIT:
Long story short, when the jail is running, inside the jail all of this is cut off
The jail is 'living' inside that root folder, so your mounts are 'below' that.

Roger Mahler

Dabbler
Now i feel dimer than i did before, your answer was perfect - everything is now working.

Thank you very much..

roger...

Aurimas

Dabbler
I still cannot get plex to recognize libraries.
Jail mount:
/mnt/Tank/Media - /mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media
Adding in Plex:
media/Music
media/Movies
media/TV Shows
No media inside libraries :/
Can someone help me?

fracai

Guru
I still cannot get plex to recognize libraries.
Jail mount:
/mnt/Tank/Media - /mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media
Adding in Plex:
media/Music
media/Movies
media/TV Shows
No media inside libraries :/
Can someone help me?
If you open the jail shell, can you list the contents of those directories and see the files in there?
What are the permissions of those directories and the files inside?
When you add those paths to Plex, are you adding them as written there? Without a '/' at the front? Try adding the slash.

Aurimas

Dabbler
If you open the jail shell, can you list the contents of those directories and see the files in there?
What are the permissions of those directories and the files inside?
When you add those paths to Plex, are you adding them as written there? Without a '/' at the front? Try adding the slash.
Yes, with slashes. Strange thing.. Dissasembled the HW to move to the new case. After putting everything together, the libraries were found and everything was working.. dont understand how this could happen..
Can i set that dataset where all my media is to only owner and groups can read, write, execute? Now other can read and execute, maybe thats why plex started to see everything?

Aurimas

Dabbler
One more question. When i install other plugin, can i select different netmask? I tried before to install deluge using the same netmask but different IP and after restart one of jails wont start, had to stop one to start another.

Aurimas

Dabbler
Now i noticed that plex cannot play anything from my library. It sees them, does not download meta data and cannot play. permissions problem?

fracai

Guru
Maybe that first time the mountpoint hadn't been mounted correctly?
More likely though is that you're seeing general permissions issues.

Actually, I just noticed that the video you used is based on FreeNAS 9.3 and all it really covers is clicking to install the plugin and add storage. There have been enough changes between there and 11.1 or 11.2 that you should probably start over with a different guide.

I suggest using the Plex guide from the Resources section: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

Aurimas

Dabbler
Maybe that first time the mountpoint hadn't been mounted correctly?
More likely though is that you're seeing general permissions issues.

Actually, I just noticed that the video you used is based on FreeNAS 9.3 and all it really covers is clicking to install the plugin and add storage. There have been enough changes between there and 11.1 or 11.2 that you should probably start over with a different guide.

I suggest using the Plex guide from the Resources section: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/
I did not used any guide. Just went over to plugins, installed Plex, added storage to it and that it. Your link is the guide to install plex from scratch? If i have it istalled from the plugins section, can i do something to get it working properly?
One more thing.. Why there is a plugins section in freenas is non of them can be installed properly? I think it sgould be like this: If it does not work - dont add it until it works. :)

Aurimas

Dabbler
Update: Still does not play video. Music plays without problems.
Tried to convert a video in plex optimiser and it worked, so ples can acces the storage.

Jeb_Lotwers

Cadet
You have to manually type the file path. You usually cannot navigate it through the tree.

For mine I just had to type /media/movies.

Of course this depends on how you mounted your storage.

Thank you for this reminder. Even though I was already familiar with Freenas' sensitivity to case, this follow up solved my concern -- which was exactly matched the OP. It might also be helpful to add that the cases are driven by the Jail destination path AND NOT by the Jail source path. For example, if the source is /mnt/MediaVolume/Media and the destination is /mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media, then the file path in Plex should be /media, NOT /Media. (This is the semantic detail that frustrated me for three days.)

Thanks again for the refresh. Proved very helpful!

fracai

Guru
I did not used any guide. Just went over to plugins, installed Plex, added storage to it and that it. Your link is the guide to install plex from scratch? If i have it istalled from the plugins section, can i do something to get it working properly?
One more thing.. Why there is a plugins section in freenas is non of them can be installed properly? I think it sgould be like this: If it does not work - don't add it until it works. :)
Ah, I confused you with the thread starter who said they followed that guide.
I can't speak to what the plugins do as I followed that guide to install Plex. I prefer the iocage script approach that lets me customize how things are installed and what users are created in a reproducible way.
I agree that the plugins should just work, but this is software we're talking about; nothing works. :smile:

Aurimas

Dabbler
Ah, I confused you with the thread starter who said they followed that guide.
I can't speak to what the plugins do as I followed that guide to install Plex. I prefer the iocage script approach that lets me customize how things are installed and what users are created in a reproducible way.
I agree that the plugins should just work, but this is software we're talking about; nothing works. :)
I could try to reinstall plex. Whitch guide should i use?

ryanakata

Explorer

ryanakata

Explorer
I'll post what you need when I get home. I modified a script and you need to install perl in the Plex jail.