Two services to same directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdb

Dabbler
First, I posted a similar question in the how to section two days ago and could find the post today. Then I saw the post about not asks questions there. Sorry.

Real question: using two services to directory is not recommended, but I'm not sure I see another way and wanted feedback from the group.

Work flow
Our phone system records all calls and can upload them via ftp to the freenas server at completion of call.

User then decides if call needs to be kept. Ie cold sales call/personal call delete. Client, lead, or opportunity keep. If delete goto folder and delete file.

If keep call gets logged in salesforce and a hyper link to the call recording is created. (Process for creating link is below).

Do you guys see any issues with this?
What are the potential pitfalls?
Would you implement in a different fashion, and if so how?
What are the other options?

Thanks
JD

Knowledge Article Number: 838295

Description
Steps to create a formula field which contains an hyperlink to a local file.

Resolution
For creating a link to a network/local file, you may need a custom text file (to introduce the path) and a formula field. A URL field will always add "http://" prefix. Please follow the steps below:

1. Create a text field (for example, with the following name: "Path")
(Setup | Customize | {Object} |Fields and click New in the Custom Fields & Relationships section of the page)
2. Create formula field with data type: Text (for example, with the following name: "File") to link to that file:

HYPERLINK("file://"&{!Path__c},"View")

You now have a link, called "View," for example, with which the file can be accessed directly from the object by right clicking and selecting "Save Target As."

You can also use this concept to point to network folders - create a formula field on the Account record which links to the network folder for that client, etc.

NOTE: For security purposes, Mozilla applications block links to local files (and directories) from remote files. This includes linking to files on your hard drive, on mapped network drives, and accessible via (UNC) paths. To have access to those files you need to install "Local Link" add-on in your Firefox: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_don't_work

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, I posted a similar question in the how to section two days ago and could find the post today. Then I saw the post about not asks questions there. Sorry.

I deleted it.. on purpose. And no, I didn't email you to let you know.. on purpose.

We are tired of people not reading the part that says "How-tos and guides only. If you have a question, you want the Help & Support Forum instead."

If you can't read the warning I can't spend my time to respond. Sorry.

Us mods are volunteers and we have better things to do than deal with the riff-raff of many people doing everything we tell them not to do.

As for your problem, you provided no info to help. You need to figure out how whatever you are using stores files and figure out if you can make it work with FreeNAS. That's the simple answer.

Jdb

Dabbler
I deleted it.. on purpose. And no, I didn't email you to let you know.. on purpose.

We are tired of people not reading the part that says "How-tos and guides only. If you have a question, you want the Help & Support Forum instead."

If you can't read the warning I can't spend my time to respond. Sorry.

Us mods are volunteers and we have better things to do than deal with the riff-raff of many people doing everything we tell them not to do.

Hi Cyber,
I understand that you and the other mods are very busy and do not have the time to fix other forum members mistakes. It must take a tremendous amount of energy to ensure the quality of the information on these boards and your contributions are greatly respected. I understand how valuable time is and that it must be very frustrating when people do not read the notes you have put up.

It was a mistake and all was trying to do was publicly apologize for my action.

Jdb

Dabbler
So let me pose the question a different way.

FreeNAS guide recommends not using multiple services on the same directory is not recommended.

Using FTP solely for upload of the files to the directory and then nfs to listen/delete/download is there any potential problems that may arise?

Once the FTP has uploaded the file it will not access the file again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It does carry some risk. It's obviously not ideal, but you *should* be okay. You may still have problems, so be careful. If files start getting corrupted alot you may have to find an alternative like using just FTP or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.