Two drives; One Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

I would like to setup NAS for my home network but I don't necessarily have a complete system to spare and instead I have a spare hard drive laying around that I have hooked up to my tower. My idea here is to install FreeNAS on this drive while still having Windows 10 installed on my main drive. Would I be able to access that drive while on my Windows drive? If anyone has any useful information or has tried anything related I would very much appreciate the help.

Thank you.

melloa

Wizard
FreeNAS is installed on one disk or USB stick and windows won't read that format. If you install and boot from a USB, you will have a FreeNAS box with one HD (the extra one). You will be better off adding that HD to your windows, IMHO.

I don't necessarily have a complete system to spare

You will need to get more into the recommended hardware and have a real use for a NAS to invest some $ and time to get it going. Check the resources tab above and you will find lots of information.

Last edited:
FreeNAS isn't an application that you could run under Windows. Think of it as a complete operating system (gross simplification). You need to dedicate a computer to FreeNAS if you are going to use it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Think of it as a complete operating system (gross simplification).
It is a complete operating system. Sure, it's a set of applications running on FreeBSD, but it's distributed as a monolithic package.

Status
Not open for further replies.