SOLVED Turn two drives into one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yummiesttag

Dabbler
So I have two 500gb drives in freenas. I would like to be able to replace them both with just one 3tb drive. Would this be possible?

garm

Wizard
Why? What’s your pool layout? Single disk vdevs is a bad idea

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
So I have two 500gb drives in freenas. I would like to be able to replace them both with just one 3tb drive. Would this be possible?
I would be possible, BUT there's a right way and a wrong way to get it done.
If you are forthcoming with details (you know the rules for posting), we can help you get this
done in a best practice manner.
My first piece of advice would be to back up (copy) your data before attempting anything...

Yummiesttag

Dabbler
My reasons for have to replace both 500gig drives are I have two data ports. There is no room for a third drive. Yes I could buy a PCI SATA Adapter but I have put a good bit of money already into the system and it’s main purpose is a Plex machine so nothing mission critical is on it. I shucked the drive out of a sea gate external enclosure so I have the piece that turns the hard drive into a sun drive basically and that’s what I planned on using to transfer the data onto the drive. I’ve already upgraded the drives before this way and it worked but I replaced 2 drives with 2 drives. Never two to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.