Trying to setup Transmission + Openvpn on 11.3

Jr922

Explorer
Im trying to migrate my setup from the warden jails over to the iocage jails.
I simply want to start from scratch on my backup server and see how the setup goes.
I've used the web gui to create an iocage jail for the plex transmission plugin but I cant seem to install openvpn or anything else from the iocage repository inside the jail.
Code:
Updating iocage-plugins repository catalogue...
iocage-plugins repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'openvpn' have been found in the repositories

transmission seems to have installed and is working, the ipfw firewall rules I added later also seem to be working, pretty sure my openvpn.conf will work once i can get openvpn installed.

Am I missing something here? Is there a guide I could follow for setting up plex with openvpn on 11.3?

Last edited:
Curious to know why you want to install OpenVPN with Plex as Plex already uses secure connections when used over the internet? Refer to the Plex support article How to Use Secure Server Connections.

While it can be done, plugin jails aren't really designed to be manipulated manually. If you do want to proceed, look for the file FreeBSD.conf (it may be in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos). There will be a single entry in the file. Change the flag to YES to allow FreeBSD packages to be installed in the plugin jail. The issue is that whenever the plugin is updated, it's likely to break any additional changes you have made to the plugin jail.

Bear in mind too that plugin jails aren't frequently updated. If that doesn't bother you, that's fine. If you want to be on a more current release of Plex, I'd encourage you to have a look at @danb35's scripted Plex resource.

Jr922

Explorer
Curious to know why you want to install OpenVPN with Plex as Plex already uses secure connections when used over the internet? Refer to the Plex support article How to Use Secure Server Connections.

While it can be done, plugin jails aren't really designed to be manipulated manually. If you do want to proceed, look for the file FreeBSD.conf (it may be in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos). There will be a single entry in the file. Change the flag to YES to allow FreeBSD packages to be installed in the plugin jail. The issue is that whenever the plugin is updated, it's likely to break any additional changes you have made to the plugin jail.

Bear in mind too that plugin jails aren't frequently updated. If that doesn't bother you, that's fine. If you want to be on a more current release of Plex, I'd encourage you to have a look at @danb35's scripted Plex resource.
yeah my bad, it was late, I was talking about transmission jail and not plex, I dont know why I wrote plex twice
o_O

is this new to 11.3 because I remember adding stuff to plugin jails previously?

I could just make the whole thing manually if there is a decent guide but that seems kind of silly when all i need is one other pkg

is this new to 11.3 because I remember adding stuff to plugin jails previously?
Yes, it is.
I could just make the whole thing manually if there is a decent guide but that seems kind of silly when all i need is one other pkg
Yes and No. The plugin is convenient, but it has several limitations. For instance:
1. The Plex plugin version (1.18.3.2129) is way out of date. The plugin hasn't been updated in months. The current Plex version available to FreeNAS is 1.18.8.2527. Plugins appear to be updated infrequently.
2. Plex metadata is contained within the plugin jail. If you've extensively customised your libraries, you will lose those customisations if the plugin jail is hosed. It's better if metadata is located outside the plugin jail.

The aforementioned script addresses these issues. In addition, it automatically updates Plex whenever a new version becomes available.

Last edited: