Trying to lower the idle power, what the actual bare minimum for a 4 disk RAIDZ1 nas?

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
Go for an i5, e.g. 6500… They are so cheap, when you buy them used.

T CPUs are NOT more power efficient- take the regular version

Dreamer

Dabbler
Go for an i5, e.g. 6500… They are so cheap, when you buy them used.

T CPUs are NOT more power efficient- take the regular version
why 6th gen? isn't it like less efficent? i have an i7 7700 and afaik pull 50W idle from the plug, i was looking for something more efficent
Is the T issue kernel releated? if so there's might a fix like flashing custom kernel, is that a thing on Truenas?

chuck32

Guru
i'm looking on ebay for the cheapest CPU that can still run truenas scale
The cheapest CPU is not the same as the most power efficient.

I'll agree with @Dreamer for the idle draw you'll see diminishing returns at some point. The electricity savings need to justify the investment.

My replication build with 2 SSDs and 3 HDDs pulls around 42 w idle (50W but you need take out 8-10 W for the UPS)

ChrisRJ

Wizard
why 6th gen? isn't it like less efficent? i have an i7 7700 and afaik pull 50W idle from the plug, i was looking for something more efficent
"AFAIK" seems to indicate that this is somewhat a feeling and less of hard knowledge. So the first order of business would be to confirm things.

Second, with a CPU of this generation for the idle consumption it is probably the least relevant component (or at least many factors are more impactful). The board itself plays a bigger role, the GPU, the PSU, connected peripherals, sometimes fans.

For comparison: My 8 core Xeon from 2012 with 256 GB of RAM and a 10 Gbps NIC uses less power than my i7 8700 with 6 cores, 32 GB, and an RX580 card.

Yes, a newer CPU is more energy-efficient. But for at least 10 years the gains are relatively small and in doubt don't warrant an upgrade.