TruesNAS 13u4: robocopy complains of "the mounted filesystem doesn't support extended attributes"

Jfs

Dabbler
Hi all,
I'm copying a whole bunch of files and directories from a Netapp CIFS share to a new TrueNAS server running v13U4, but I still get a bunch of errors from robocopy (running on Windows 2012R2 DataCenter, which I know is stupid old) about "the mounted filesystem doesn't support extended attributes". Some of the files I've been able to fix by changing the owner on the source share, add/removing inheritance, etc. But I'm stumped on four specific files which no matter what I do, I just can't make them work properly.

I've tried running 'attrib -R -I -A -H -S *.*' in one of the directories, no luck.

I've created a new directory on the source share, copied the files from the source directory, deleted the source directory, renamed the new directory and still I get whining when it copies the files. So times I've been able to fix this error by just changing the ownership to a "domain admins" group account. But some files/directories don't seem to like it and I'm totally lost on what's going on here.

Any suggestions? Should I be using a newer windows box for my copies? This one is a big VM with plenty of CPU and memory and network capacity, but I could find something else.

Or should I just not care? LOL!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi all,
I'm copying a whole bunch of files and directories from a Netapp CIFS share to a new TrueNAS server running v13U4, but I still get a bunch of errors from robocopy (running on Windows 2012R2 DataCenter, which I know is stupid old) about "the mounted filesystem doesn't support extended attributes". Some of the files I've been able to fix by changing the owner on the source share, add/removing inheritance, etc. But I'm stumped on four specific files which no matter what I do, I just can't make them work properly.

I've tried running 'attrib -R -I -A -H -S *.*' in one of the directories, no luck.

I've created a new directory on the source share, copied the files from the source directory, deleted the source directory, renamed the new directory and still I get whining when it copies the files. So times I've been able to fix this error by just changing the ownership to a "domain admins" group account. But some files/directories don't seem to like it and I'm totally lost on what's going on here.

Any suggestions? Should I be using a newer windows box for my copies? This one is a big VM with plenty of CPU and memory and network capacity, but I could find something else.

Or should I just not care? LOL!
We disable OS2-style xattrs by default for performance reasons. What are you storing in them? It is extremely unusual to see them in use in this day and age :)

Jfs

Dabbler
I haven't a clue, I'm a Linux admin being forced into Windows copies. :smile: So I'm mostly just moving old old data from gone users, who may have done wierd things in the past that I don't understand. I guess what I'd like to know is how I can compare two seperate files and see what the extended attributes are on a file, so I can try to remove them.

I'm slowly learning PowerShell to help script things out, does anyone have hints?

In this case, since it's legacy data, I doubt anyone will ever give a damn, but with my luck they will need it next week once the Netapp app is shutdown. LOL!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I haven't a clue, I'm a Linux admin being forced into Windows copies. :smile: So I'm mostly just moving old old data from gone users, who may have done wierd things in the past that I don't understand. I guess what I'd like to know is how I can compare two seperate files and see what the extended attributes are on a file, so I can try to remove them.

I'm slowly learning PowerShell to help script things out, does anyone have hints?

In this case, since it's legacy data, I doubt anyone will ever give a damn, but with my luck they will need it next week once the Netapp app is shutdown. LOL!
You will have to turn on legacy EA support ea support = yes as an auxiliary parameter on the share. It's probably a good idea to only enable that on share with legacy data (since it negatively impacts dir listing performance).

Jfs

Dabbler
So I think I've managed to semi work around this by removing all ownership of the files and then re-applying it. I really just want a way to

a) list files with legacy EAs using powershell
b) some way to remove them using powershell, or even file explorer.

Unfortunately, it's not simple to enable this option, since some of the data in the volume is current, but alot of it is legacy.