Robocopy error 5, 13U5

jenksdrummer

Patron
Upgraded 13U5 from 13U4 last night, started copying over files to a fresh pool/dataset/etc. I get to my steam library folder and it seems no matter what I do, it stalls out on certain folders with an error 5 'access is denied' error, when accessing a destination directory. I am using robocopy \\source \\destination /copy:dat /mir /r:1 /w:9999

Source system is WS2019. Copied files locally without issue. I've also manually created the directory on the destination / truenas box, only to have the directory get deleted when robocopy hits it.

Not sure what's going on here. Is there a debug log I can look at?

jenksdrummer

Patron
Work-around found, on the share, changed from "Default Share Present" to "No Preset" and unchecked box next to "Enable Alternate Data Streams", restarted SMB service. Disconnected mappings/sessions and reconnected and re-ran robocopy command and it's working now.

Now to go research as to what/why this is enabled and seems to work most of the time while enabled?

jenksdrummer

Patron
Found that the directories in question all had an Alternate Data Stream that was a 0 byte file; all Win32App_1

jenksdrummer

Patron
There was zero-length ADS on source directories? What is output of Get-Item <filename> -stream * on source Windows box?
On any of the directories that would fail to copy.

If I created a matching directory on the truenas box, then ran robocopy again, it would delete that directory as well.

I found them doing a dir /r, let me get that info and post it; have to boot the server again.

1686001982315.png

get-item 'BioShock 2 Remastered' -Stream * does not produce a result. get-item 'BioShock 2 Remastered' does return a result so that selection is viable.

Last edited:

jenksdrummer

Patron
get-item * -stre
Where is source and where is destination? What is output of testparm -s on TrueNAS?
Source is WS2019 and ReFS
Destination is TN 13U5

Code:
# Global parameters
[global]
        aio max threads = 2
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        disable spoolss = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        enable web service discovery = Yes
        kernel change notify = No
        load printers = No
        logging = file
        max log size = 5120
        netbios name = SAN03
        nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
        registry shares = Yes
        restrict anonymous = 2
        server min protocol = SMB3
        server role = standalone server
        server string = TrueNAS Server
        unix extensions = No
        idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
        rpc_server:mdssvc = disabled
        rpc_daemon:mdssd = disabled
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        directory name cache size = 0
        dos filemode = Yes

[ds_transit]
        ea support = No
        kernel share modes = No
        path = /mnt/zpool01_r60/ds_transit
        posix locking = No
        read only = No
        vfs objects = shadow_copy_zfs ixnas zfs_core aio_fbsd
        nfs4:chown = true
        ixnas:dosattrib_xattr = false

Keep in mind, I disabled Alternate Streams so I could copy off my data so that's probably what that last line is stating.
I had also set "server min protocol = SMB3" uncertain if that could be of any relevance (it wasn't)

sozotech

Dabbler
Work-around found, on the share, changed from "Default Share Present" to "No Preset" and unchecked box next to "Enable Alternate Data Streams", restarted SMB service. Disconnected mappings/sessions and reconnected and re-ran robocopy command and it's working now.

Now to go research as to what/why this is enabled and seems to work most of the time while enabled?
Thanks for posting this. These steps fixed the same issue I was having.