TrueNAS Scale or Core choice

Gunndy

Dabbler
All.

Currently have TrueNAS Core installed on my eSXI server as a VM and am planning on switching to ProxMox as my VM hypervisor for my home/lab setup.

Part of this switch is to also migrate my TrueNas install to dedicated hardware so that I can manipulate my Hypervisor platform whenever I want without taking down my NAS for media streaming in house and network mapped drives on computers.

I have two questions that I am curious about and wasn't able to really locate good insight using the search options in other threads, so forgive me if they have been answered before.

I like the idea of switching to a linux based version of TrueNAS, but if I'm not really using it for Hypervisor (since I'll still have my dedicated Hypervisor box), is there any reason/benefit to using Scale vs Core? Is one better than the other for just straight NAS filesharing and possibly some jails for apps like NextCloud, etc?

Also, I have two Xeon processors I could possibly use for the new TrueNAS server. Xeon Silver 4109t (8c/16t) and a Xeon Gold 6128 (6c/12t). The 4109 has more threads, but the 6128 runs at a decently higher clock speed. My gut feeling is that the extra clock speed will be better than the 2 extra cores since I won't be running VMs (only Jails) from the TrueNAS box; but I'm not sure if the other features of TrueNAS favor cores or clocks more.

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated.

sretalla