TrueNAS randomly reboots or quits responding

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

I am very new at TrueNAS and Linux in general. Strong computer background that just doesn't include these.

With that said, I am at a loss. TrueNAS will randomly either reboot or stop responding. I have a monitor connected to the computer and when it stops responding, nothing is shown there. When it reboots, everything looks normal.

I don't know where the logs are. I could probably muddle my way through reading them but need to know where to find them to do that.

Basic specs:

Motherboard: Biostar TB250-BTC
CPU: Intel G4400 (I did have an i5-6500 in there until a couple of days ago. same issue)
RAM: 8 gigs Crucial value 2133mhz
SSD: Kingston 256 gig (about a year old)
HDD: 5 various size spindle drives each in their own vdev, striped. Each rive has been tested using HD Sentinel surface tester
PSU: Brand New Thermaltake 700W
Interface 1: 1gig onboard NIC
Interface 2: 2.5gig PCI-e card (problem existed before I added the card too)

I do have a few plugins running but nothing too amazing
  • heimdall-dashboard
  • Openspeedtest
  • sabnzbd
  • tautulli
Please help.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
A random reboot or hang often indicates a hardware issue - bad CPU/MBD/RAM, or dodgy power.

Have you tested the system with something like memtest86 (free version is fine) to see if it will continue running there? Does it seem to occur more often if the system is under heavy load?

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
A random reboot or hang often indicates a hardware issue - bad CPU/MBD/RAM, or dodgy power.

Have you tested the system with something like memtest86 (free version is fine) to see if it will continue running there? Does it seem to occur more often if the system is under heavy load?

ok, dumb question... how do I run memtest on this?

I was using the hardware in a Windows 10 based 'NAS' for a while and everything was fine.

I was sitting here about 90 minutes ago and it started rebooting (it's in my office about 10 feet from me). No one and nothing was using it at the time.

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
And another dumb question. If I got another motherboard (to test with) could I just reinstall TrueNAS? Will all of my files be safe?

Hellione

Explorer
i would also test memory first. one of the best bootstick tools is, got to ultimatebootcd.com and download the iso image.
burn it to stick, boot (must use legacy, not uefi compatible!). in the menu got to memory and then memtest86+. just let it
run without configuring options, especially "smp" makes problems, do not use it. if you get 1 pass without errors, mem shoud be fine.
this process will last about an hour.

if you get another mobo, better use one with ecc support chipset, and get ecc memory. your pentium will do fine, your i5 does not support ecc.

and yes, you can simply reinstall truenas. make a settings backup before, and after first boot, restore from backup.

Last edited:

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
sheesh... didn't even think of that. or hirens.

I will try that later today. I just put different stick of ram in. Took out the other. Yes, it could still be the board but I need to find that or order another. Don't want to order until I try everything else.

ok, Thank you.

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
i would also test memory first. one of the best bootstick tools is, got to ultimatebootcd.com and download the iso image.
burn it to stick, boot (must use legacy, not uefi compatible!). in the menu got to memory and then memtest86+. just let it
run without configuring options, especially "smp" makes problems, do not use it. if you get 1 pass without errors, mem shoud be fine.
this process will last about an hour.

if you get another mobo, better use one with ecc support chipset, and get ecc memory. your pentium will do fine, your i5 does not support ecc.

and yes, you can simply reinstall truenas. make a settings backup before, and after first boot, restore from backup.
Ok, I ran memtest, no errors. Ugh.

where are the logs and how do I read them?

Migsi

Dabbler
Did you fiddle around with the hardware (especially the mobo) since these problems started? I had almost exactly the same behavior on one of my TrueNAS machines, after transferring all the hardware to a "new" case with new disks and a different power supply I knew that was good. The machine randomly rebooted, sometimes during the day, sometimes during the night, one time twice in a row (allthough it never hang or got stuck in any other ways). Anyway, after 3 weeks of debugging I rechecked the power/reset button wiring and appearently I misplaced the reset button connector. It was open on one side (connected to NC pin), allowing static charges (or whatever) to build up and trigger a system reset at random times.

Quazione

Cadet
I just read this and I want to warn everyone. DO NOT RUN ULTIMATE BOOT CD OR MICROSOFT MEMTEST If you boot of these you are liable to do what I did which is damage the boot sectors of your RAID array thus making it unusable unless you really really know what you are doing it very arduous to get your RAID back online. I learned this the hard way.

Krautmaster

Explorer
testwise disable C states in bios. I had that issue with celerons in past, i think C6 or C7 caused that issue. U may give it a try