TrueNAS Core / Transmission / NFS / Shield Kodi / Win 11

clunesy

Cadet
Hi all

I'm struggling with setting up Transmission and NFS on TrueNAS, and I'm facing persistent issues with permissions and configuration settings not being retained after reboots. I would really appreciate any guidance or advice on how to resolve these problems. I have tried everything at least once I think.

1. Transmission Group and Pool Ownership Issue: I installed Transmission, which requires a group with an ID of 921. I created a group named torrent-group with this ID. However, after setting this up, I noticed something strange: the ownership of my entire pool seems to have changed unexpectedly to this new group. My default user is myname, and it appears to be "hijacked" by this new group. Is this normal behavior? Why would creating a group with a specific ID and creating an ACL for it affect the ownership of the entire pool?

2. NFS Share Configuration on TrueNAS: I'm trying to use NFS instead of SMB due to performance issues with a dupe finding app on Windows 11. Here are the specific settings I've tinkered with in the NFS service and share settings:

• NFS Service Settings:
    • 'Allow non-root mount': I enabled this, assuming it's necessary for my Windows 11 machine and NVIDIA Shield, which are not running NFS as root.
  • NFS Share Settings:
    • 'All dirs': I enabled this setting to allow the client to mount any path within the share. Is this advisable, or could it be contributing to my issues?
  • In some cases, I end up with empty folders.
  • In others, files are unopenable due to permission issues.
  • Sometimes it works, then stops after a reboot!f
3. Mounting NFS Share on Windows 11 and NVIDIA Shield: It seems like I have to use the same export / mount for this since its the same folder i'm sharing. Unless there is a way to create different exports for different subnets? (My win machine is connected 10GbE on 192.168.111.x, the Shield is on 192.168.10.x on 1GbE)

4. Persistence of Settings Across Reboots: An additional point of frustration is that some settings don't seem to stick after a reboot. This makes troubleshooting even more challenging, as I'm not sure what's a configuration error versus a temporary glitch.

Given these issues, I'm starting to wonder if there's something fundamentally wrong with my TrueNAS installation or setup. I have done various ownership and permission changes in web UI shell as well as over ssh so I may have broken something. I'm particularly confused about the various NFS service and share tickboxes and their implications.

any input gratefully received!