NFS ACLs & User Mapping (please help)

dogwhistle

Cadet
i'm running truenas core 13 server and debian 11 client.

summary: i would like to set up an NFS share with some kind of ACL permissions where different users have different permissions on different subdirectories on a dataset. if possible, i would like to map users between client and server by username/groupname, not by UID/GID. all without kerberos if possible.

ACL questions:

first of all, is it just me, or is the ACL editor in the webui pretty limited? for example, when i go to edit permissions on a dataset, i don't see how to add an ACL for subdirectories. i only see how for the root of the dataset.

am i missing something, or should i just be setting up ACLs from a terminal instead of the webui on truenas? if so, what should i use for setting them up? setfacl in truenas (freebsd)? i'm a little confused because distinct utils like nfs4_setfacl exist in linux. help?

NFS questions:

without kerberos, how can i map users between client and server by username/groupname, not by UID/GID. i.e., the users exist on both client and server, but their UIDs are inconsistent.

from my research so far, it sounds like the solution could involve:
  • nfs4
  • configuring idmapd on the nfs client (NEED_IDMAPD=yes in /etc/default/nfs-common, matching the domain of the nfs server in /etc/idmapd.conf)
  • possibly setting security to sys in the nfs share's settings in the server webui, but i don't understand what this does. it is apparently already enabled on my nfs client.
  • maybe enable NFSv3 ownership model for NFSv4 in the nfs service settings in the webui, but honestly that doesn't sound like what i actually want. it sounds like this just enforces direct UID (not username) mapping? can anyone elaborate?
but i'm not sure which of those are actually necessary or if other stuff's needed.

i've tried several permutations of the above but haven't fully succeeded yet.

i would be very appreciative if someone could patiently explain what to do and why. thanks in advance.

btw, here's how my nfs mount looks on the client:

Code:
sudo nfsstat -m

/playground from 10.0.0.7:/mnt/mytank/some/playground
 Flags: rw,relatime,vers=4.2,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=0.0.0.0,local_lock=none,addr=10.0.0.7

Ashkaan

Dabbler
I'm stuck here too. I set up ACLs exactly as directed from other forum posts and my NFS user can't access. I'm just doing top-level permissions and it's not working.