TrueNAS Core - Odd Network Behavior & Cannot Connect to NAS

57HL&gXjw!

Dabbler
Hello All,

I am in the middle of trying to install a new NAS environment here using TrueNAS Core; unfortunately, I am having trouble getting the network configurations to work properly. I have now reinstalled everything on this server several times, each time I run into these same issues.

I am experiencing an issue in when I attempt to configure additional network interfaces (to entirely different networks) within TrueNAS - either console or WebGUI - the entire TrueNAS system becomes unstable and unable to be reached. I have ensured that all the network information has been provided and set in TrueNAS appropriately, yet, every time I configure more than one network interface the NAS becomes unreachable.

I can confirm there are no issues with the underlying networks this instance of TrueNAS is connecting to. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

More Details:

Critical Information:
  • Running the latest version of TrueNAS with the latest updates installed
  • Underlying hardware is a Dell R730 w/ 32 GB RAM

Networks:
  • There are four networks in play here - each physically isolated from one another. Let's call these networks A, B, C, and D.
  • Network A is defined by 192.168.1.0/24 with gateway at 192.168.1.1
  • Network B is defined by 172.16.33.0/24 with gateway at 172.16.33.1
  • Network C is defined by 10.1.0.0/22 with gateway at 10.1.0.1
  • Network D is defined by 10.30.3.0/24 with gateway at 10.30.3.1
  • Clearing this up: There is only one default gateway defined - for Network A - the information listed above is not the configuration of TrueNAS / BSD. I have simply provided this information as how each network is independently defined.
  • Each of the above-listed networks are already established and working as they should.
  • There is a current TrueNAS server that is configured properly and working connected to each of these networks.
  • The network interfaces I am using are as follows:
    • Network A: Intel I350 - 1Gb/s
    • Network B: Intel X520 - 10Gb/s
    • Network C: Intel X520 - 10Gb/s
    • Network D: Intel X520 - 10Gb/s
Routing:
  • As network A is the primary network (also where I want TrueNAS to be managed from) the default route is configured for this network.
  • Static routes have been setup for each other network defined.
What is Happening:
  • When TrueNAS is first installed (or the configuration is reset), everything works as expected - it is worth mentioning that only Network A is connected at this point; every other network is physically disconnected from the server.
  • From this point I can configure a static IP on network A along with the default route and nameserver configuration. Great! Everything is working.
  • HOWEVER, plugging in any other network is having the effect of making the WebGUI (and any other services provided by TrueNAS) inaccessible. Even after configuring a newly connected interface to use a static IP and configure the corresponding static route.
  • It does not matter what other networks I connect. The minute they are connected I can no longer get to TrueNAS remotely (over any network).
  • What makes this slightly more odd is how even though I am no longer able to reach TrueNAS from any network, the TrueNAS server is capable of reaching out - but only to network A. Attempting to reach any devices from TrueNAS on any of the other network does not work - ping returns that host is down.
  • I was able (for a very brief time) to get TrueNAS connected on three of the networks, but I could only do this by defining network C as a /24 rather than a /22 - but even then, things were not very stable.
Other Information:
  • I am no stranger to the BSD system and have gone so far as to install FreeBSD on this device to configure in the same manner I would the TrueNAS server - hoping this would at least yield the same results... unfortunately when doing this everything worked as it should. With FreeBSD alone, the system was functional and stable, and was able to maintain this state the entire time I had FreeBSD installed - several hours.
  • I will say once again (to avoid the "it's your network" response), I have confirmed there are no issues on any of the underlying networks.
  • I have tried configuring these interfaces via both the WebGUI and the console - with absolutely no luck.
  • I am not having any IP conflicts on any of the networks TrueNAS is being connected to. Each network is strictly controlled and I have a full accounting of all devices and IP space for each.

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
  • Network A is defined by 192.168.1.0/24 with gateway at 192.168.1.1
  • Network B is defined by 172.16.33.0/24 with gateway at 172.16.33.1
  • Network C is defined by 10.1.0.0/22 with gateway at 10.1.0.1
  • Network D is defined by 10.30.3.0/24 with gateway at 10.30.3.1
You can not have multiple default gateways. Only one is effective in the system... This is how IP networks work. There is nothing specific to TrueNAS here...

57HL&gXjw!

Dabbler
You can not have multiple default gateways. Only one is effective in the system... This is how IP networks work. There is nothing specific to TrueNAS here...
I am not using multiple default gateways.

The snippet you are referencing in your comment is take out of context as I am simply providing the details of the networks we are connecting to, NOT the configurations of the TrueNAS system.

I would appreciate a modicum of respect from you and other members of this community in not jumping to assumptions of lacking knowledge. I am very aware the foundations of how networking works and have decades of experience here. I would recommend you check your ego before replying as such.