TrueNAS 13 needs 16GB instead of 8GB for 12. Or does it?

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
After just finding out about TrueNAS Core 13 I discovered that on the download page 16GB of RAM is stated as the minimum required. But when I click the link to the minimum hardware requirements it still says 8GB. This is... confusing.

My use case is a home NAS which isn't asked much of at all. I was wondering what other's experience is on the matter. I'm not opposed to installing more RAM, but I'd rather not do that before I know that I can otherwise run TrueNAS 13 without issue :smile: .

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

NugentS

MVP
However......
1660766389210.png

It will still work in 8 - just starting to get crowded in there so 16 is sensible

It will still work in 8 - just starting to get crowded in there so 16 is sensible
I think the recommended/requirement change refers to RAM, not the boot-pool capacity.

Though a breathable boot-pool that houses (1) the operating system, (2) a large swap, and (3) the System Dataset, doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
Oops - brain fart here

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
I think the recommended/requirement change refers to RAM, not the boot-pool capacity.

Though a breathable boot-pool that houses (1) the operating system, (2) a large swap, and (3) the System Dataset, doesn't hurt.
Are you even supposed to have the system dataset in the boot pool, without redundancy...?

BOT: I suppose that I could simply upgrade my RAM in any case. But I'm a bit surprised that I'm apparently the only one that has been running with 8GB so far to begin with...?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you even supposed to have the system dataset in the boot pool, without redundancy...?
Not without redundancy, but if you do have redundancy, it's perfectly fine and supported.

RangerM2

Cadet
I just put a Truenas 13 on duty with simple 2-drive mirror (4TB, unencrypted) and an SSD boot drive, and also have 8 GB of (ECC) RAM. I hadn't seen the 16 GB until after I'd already set it up.

According to the Dashboard, the memory is divided into 3 GB worth of Services, 4.3 GB worth of ZFS Cache, and 0.3 GB free. My Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz runs in the single digits, every time I've ever looked.

The system seems to be working just fine and I can access my SMB share without issue. Speed is as quick as my old Fedora-based NAS.

BUT, if anyone can tell me if I'm running on the edge of a failure (based on the Dashboard stats), please let me know.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@RangerM2, if you're the only one accessing your SMB share on an occasional basis, you're probably fine, but you'd definitely need 16 GB of RAM to have your system stretch its wings to handle constant SMB access from more than 2 systems.

dak180

Patron
I just put a Truenas 13 on duty with simple 2-drive mirror (4TB, unencrypted) and an SSD boot drive, and also have 8 GB of (ECC) RAM. I hadn't seen the 16 GB until after I'd already set it up.

According to the Dashboard, the memory is divided into 3 GB worth of Services, 4.3 GB worth of ZFS Cache, and 0.3 GB free. My Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz runs in the single digits, every time I've ever looked.
BUT, if anyone can tell me if I'm running on the edge of a failure (based on the Dashboard stats), please let me know.
I would not say that you are running on the edge of failure but I would like to point out that your ecc memory is not doing you much good at the moment; in order for ecc to work properly the memory, motherboard and cpu all have to support it (otherwise it runs in non ecc mode) and the i7-4770 does not support ecc.

RangerM2

Cadet
I would not say that you are running on the edge of failure but I would like to point out that your ecc memory is not doing you much good at the moment; in order for ecc to work properly the memory, motherboard and cpu all have to support it (otherwise it runs in non ecc mode) and the i7-4770 does not support ecc.
Hmm. Wasn't looking at the processor when I was putting it together, but maybe I can pick up a Xeon at some point. For now, I'll just let it run as is. May increase the memory first, though.