Truenas 12 User guide PDF?

ragametal

Contributor
First of all, I posted this question on a different section of the forum already but it seems its not getting a lot of traffic there. The moderators should feel free to delete this post if this is not allowed.

I'm looking for the PDF version of the truenas 12 user guide but i cannot find it anywhere. I know that the live manual can be found at the documentation hub but this is not the ideal format when you want a printed copy of it.

I tried to make my own pdf from the live manual but the formatting gets messy and difficult to read. I was hoping to get something like the manual for the 11.3 in pdf which has excellent formatting.

Can anybody point me to where i can download such manual?

Redcoat

MVP
Did you try the "print preview" here at https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/:

1632829052383.png

which leads to this:

1632829150912.png

where you can hit "print" and output to a .pdf printer?

The file I made looks OK to me.

Evertb1

Guru
I agree fully with @Redcoat. You can get an OK pdf document that way.

ragametal

Contributor
@Redcoat & @Evertb1 , That was the first thing i tried but the end result is a pdf with a format that is not ideal for printed media.

I'm a newcomer to Truenas and what i would like to do is to print the entire manual, study it, understand it and use it for future reference. Truenas had this pdf for their 11.3 release and the format of it is amazing for what i want to do.

When i created my own pdf, the visual representation of the links are difficult to read, some graphics are too big to fit in a single sheet, sheet numbering doesn't exist and it doesn't have a table of contents.

I also converted the pdf into a .doc file and started to fix these shortcommings manually but, needless to say, it was taking me too long as the document has +400 pages.

At that point i decided to reach out to the community to see if somebody could help me find a pdf version of the 12 user guide but it seems it doesn't exist at this time.

Redcoat

MVP

ragametal

Contributor
@Redcoat I guess you are right. A pdf exist if one creates one but i hope you understand the point i wanted to make. The pdf for 11.3 was just more elegant, for the lack of a better word, than the one you can currently create for Truenas 12.

I will head to the post you listed above and see if somebody has already created a pdf version of the user guide. If not, maybe i'll just try to keep doing it myself and share it with the community once i finish. Although i make no promises since time has become my most valuable asset as of late.

Thanks for the help.

Evertb1

Guru
I agree that the created pdf is not as good as it could be. But I have "played" a bit with it in Word and it was not so hard to create a usable document for printing. First I accepted that the document was in landscape. That helped with the graphics. Secondly I removed the pages with hyperlinks. Third I removed the page numbering from the footer. Then I inserted a reformatted page numbering in the footer. And then I inserted a blank page at the top of the document and there I inserted a table of contents. That table was populated based on the headers in the document. At first glance that worked out OK. Took 15 minutes or so. And if you are happy with the result you can always print it to PDF again.

ragametal

Contributor
I agree that the created pdf is not as good as it could be. But I have "played" a bit with it in Word and it was not so hard to create a usable document for printing. First I accepted that the document was in landscape. That helped with the graphics. Secondly I removed the pages with hyperlinks. Third I removed the page numbering from the footer. Then I inserted a reformatted page numbering in the footer. And then I inserted a blank page at the top of the document and there I inserted a table of contents. That table was populated based on the headers in the document. At first glance that worked out OK. Took 15 minutes or so. And if you are happy with the result you can always print it to PDF again.

Thanks for the input about the time-saving formatting tips. I will definitely give it a shot.