TrueNas 12 - Noob SMB/dataset question - new dataset for each user ?

jradley

Cadet
Hi,

I'm familiar with older versions of freenas (eg. 9.x and 11.x) but am very new to 12, having set up a new server just today.

I'm seeing something rather odd (to me) with datasets that I'm confused about - hopefully someone can help !!....

Historically on my older freenas systems I have created a pool and then shared the pool via SMB - everything works as expected. If I do that on TrueNas 12 it works exactly the same way - so far so good.

However, I want to encrypt the pool and use a passphrase instead of key, and becasue the system dataset sits in the pool it wont let me do that. So I created a dataset in the pool and this is where things start to go wrong...

The pool is called "Pool" and the dataset named "data". I can see the directory /mnt/Pool/data. So far so good.
I create an smb share of the dataset "data" and mount it as a network drive on my PC, as user "fred".
Now I get a child dataset "fred" created, and its directory /mnt/Pool/data/fred. If another user mounts it they get a directory and dataset for them too and can't see the files created by fred.

Am I doing something wrong or is that intended behaviour ? What I really want is a dataset which in encrypted with a passphrase and shareable to multiple PC's with different users but who can share the data, so just directory under /mnt/Pool/.

Cheers,

John

Alecmascot

Guru
Youhave "use as home share" checked.

jradley

Cadet
Youhave "use as home share" checked.
Hi,

Many thanks for this - I've got it working :)

"use as home share" - was *not* checked, however, I was using the "Private SMB Datasets and Shares" as the Purpose - thinking about it, it makes sense now. I hadn't quite understood the meaning of "private" in this context.

I had to delete the share and the extra datasets and then set it up again, using the "No presets" option - I hadn't spotted that first time round.

Thanks again,

John