Trouble with LAG and VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Yarborough

I just setup my FreeNAS 8 (x64) server. The hardware is a NetApp StoreVault S500 (OnTap died and I could not get it reloaded, FreeNAS seems to have worked! yay!). I am at the console trying to configure a LACP aggregate trunk back to a Cisco switch with several VLAN interfaces to host backups for a multi-tenant environment. I can manually create them by dropping down to the shell and everything seems to work as expected, but when I try to go through the menu or the web GUI, it doesn't work so well. When I reboot, I lose my manual config so I need to get it working through the menus.

I have reset to the factory default and from the console menu I chose to make a link aggregate. I go through, set it for lacp, add bge0 and bge1, and it seems to take it. Then I go to add the VLAN interfaces and it doesn't show up. I checked edit interface and it doesn't show up there either. I did go to the shell and run /etc/rc.d/netif restart and it did finally show up (if I recall correctly) but I still cannot get it to recognize the lagg0 interface as a valid option for setting up VLAN's on.

I'm fine with setting things up through the rc.conf file or at the command line, but I need the settings to stay persistent. In version 8, I can't find through the GUI how to edit the rc.conf file to make the settings persistent. The only option I have found is to have a startup script or something on permanent storage that is called and runs the commands after a reboot which seems very clunky to me.

Am I missing something or is this a bug? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John

J

John Yarborough

Well, since I got no response in the forum I thought I would try the IRC channel. While I didn't get an answer to why the console menus were broke, I did get enough of a hint to help me work around it and get a working persistent configuration. Apparently the persistent settings are all found in /conf/base/etc instead of just /etc. If you try to modify those files directly however, you will fail because they are read-only. I found that you need to perform "mount -uw /" and then within vi use "w!" to force it to save "/conf/base/etc/rc.conf". With that I was able to add in the configuration for my lagg and my vlans, reboot, and still connect. Yay, my StoreVault is back alive!

health5

Cadet
Hi John,
I've a trouble (maybe) like you. I'm trying to setup a lagg0 failover interface and adding vlans.
The only file I've found is /var/tmp/rc.conf.freenas that has some sense.
The /etc/rc.conf and /conf/base/etc/rc.conf are both empty of network/interface configurations.

For example the /var/tmp/rc.conf.freenas is like:
ifconfig_lagg0="inet X.Y.Z.X/16 laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport em1 laggport em2"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0 "
ifconfig_lagg1="DHCP laggproto failover laggport em3 laggport em4 laggport em5"
cloned_interfaces="lagg1 "
ifconfig_em0="up"
ifconfig_em3="up"
ifconfig_em1="up"
ifconfig_em4="up"
ifconfig_em2="up"
ifconfig_em5="up"
hostname="freenas.local"
static_routes=""
smartd_enable="NO"
netatalk_enable="NO"
afpd_enable="NO"
cnid_metad_enable="NO"
dbus_enable="NO"
avahi_daemon_enable="NO"
proftpd_enable="NO"
nfs_server_enable="NO"
rpc_lockd_enable="NO"
rpc_statd_enable="NO"
samba_enable="NO"
rsyncd_enable="NO"
bsnmpd_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="NO"
istgt_enable="NO"
inadyn_enable="NO"
zfs_enable="NO"
powerd_enable="NO"
nfs_server_flags="-t -u -n 4"

The rc.conf do not contain any of above information.

Do you have manually edit the rc.conf to add network/vlan configuration?

hi john

do i understand that you have re-purposed your storevaults by loading freenas onto them?

if so, do you have any documentation, instruction, links, on how this is done?

we have a number of these storevaults & they don't always behave the way we think they should, therefore we've started to distrust them. if i can re-use them with some o/s that instills a better level of trust, i'd be happy.

thanks for anything you might be able to offer.
doug

mburdick

Cadet
More Info

If you could provided more info on how you converted the NetApp S550 that would be awesome.

Thank

Status
Not open for further replies.