Trouble installing from DVD/USB

SSSSAT

Dabbler
PC Setup I want to install Freenas 11.2-U4.1;
AMD athlon 64 x2 5000+ 2.60Ghz
asus m2n-vm dvi moederbord (4*SATA 3Gb/s RAID 0,RAID 1, RAID10,RAID 5 and JBOD)
be quiet voeding
5 gb ddr2 800mhz ram
3 x 500gb hdd
dvd writer
8GB or 16GB USB stick for Freenas

I’m trying to install FreeNAS 11.2-U4.1 via a DVD to a 8 or 16GB usb stick (I’ve tried both. I’ve also tried installing it from an USB stick to an USB stick) . I can get in the first menu of Freenas (the one that after 10 secs automatically proceeds to install Freenas), but after that I keep getting errors.

Here a screenshot that mentions SCSI and Ultra-DMA/32, both things which I’ve searched on Google but didn’t come up with clear answers.
I don’t think anything is even connected via SCSI in my PC, the 3 x HDD’s are via SATA, the DVD reader is IDE.

1561395115072.png

Disclaimer; on my searches I’ve read that booting from USB is not recommended, booting from SSD is. My goal of this freenas is NAS which might run like 1 day in 3 months, so definitely not 24/7. If it’s not the best performance, I don’t care, it’s a very old PC so I understand, it’s more of a testproject for myself, not essential data.

SSSSAT

Dabbler
There are no Freenas systems out there with less than 8GB RAM?
Also, why does the screen mention an SCSI error then?

Thanks for the replies btw!

D

dlavigne

Correct, 8GB is the minimum.

The SCSI error is a read error for the CDROM drive.

myoung

Explorer
Those errors are related to the DVD drive. You should focus on trying to boot from USB because people will be more familiar with troubleshooting that. How did you create your USB install disk, what errors were you seeing then.

SSSSAT

Dabbler
Haha okay seems like there's progress.

In the BIOS I set that the USB devices should be emulated as a Hard drive, and after that I changed the boot device priority to the USB stick with Freenas setup on.

Now the setup is going further, it warned me I didn't have enough RAM but I want to try it anyway. We'll see how it turns out

SSSSAT

Dabbler
Ok the setup worked! Excellent!

Just one more question, if I shut down this system now for a few months, will it get the same IP address as it has now?

pschatz100

Guru
Glad you got it working. As was mentioned earlier, the SCSI error is related to the DVD drive. It is entirely possible that the IDE interface with DVD connected is not supported by FreeBSD. If you are going to run FreeNAS on this machine, I would disable IDE.