Transmission Permission Problems, Can't seem to get full permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djlax152

Dabbler
Hello, I have a problem with permissions on my watch folder and downloads folder for transmission and actually anything under the transmissions folder. I work mostly through CIFS shares and the biggest problem is the folder where i download content to does not give me full permissions to delete anything. for me this is a big problem because i can't delete anything that i download and its taking up a lot of hard drive space. Also the user that i am connecting with is the Owner on the ZFS mount however i guess this doesn't mean anything because it does not propagate down to the folders inside the mount especially the folders that were created by the transmission plugin. When i check the permission in windows it shows that unix user 40001 and unix group 40001 are the only ones that have special permissions to these folders. I think this is a built in user that got installed with the transmission plugin but i can't see the user anywhere in the GUI, maybe if i can add this user to a group or something i could get this going. Any help would be appreciated thanks!!

please see the attached photos. Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg

djlax152

Dabbler
okay so i found this part in the documentation

" umask: Number (default = 18) Sets transmission's file mode creation mask. See the umask(2) manpage for more information. Users who want their saved torrents to be world-writable may want to set this value to 0. Bear in mind that the json markup language only accepts numbers in base 10, so the standard umask(2) octal notation "022" is written in settings.json as 18. "

I don't know exactly what this means but i was going to try it and I can't even open the file I get an access is denied error. I don't think the problem is in this settings file.

Vanyo

Dabbler
Set it to 0 and then check the created files with
Code:
ls -l
in console.

djlax152

Dabbler
Set it to 0 and then check the created files with
Code:
ls -l
in console.

Sorry i don't know much unix but when i do a ls -l it doesn't show me any directories. that i can navigate to. It looks like when you open the shell it defaults to a particular location that doesn't allow you to go very far. How do i get the root directory or the very first folder on my freenas box so i can go and find this settings file to modify this setting. Thanks for any help I appreciate it! I attached a photo to show you what i saw

Rootshell.JPG

Vanyo

Dabbler
OK, let's try to find a soulution.
Do you have transmission installed in a jail?
What are the paths transmission uses? (Default download, watch dir, etc)
You can navigate with the cd command. (cd / navigates you to the root dir)

djlax152

Dabbler
thanks for the reply Vanyo, I was able to get some really good help earlier on anther thread about this same topic. Turns out it was more of a USER error (i.e. ME) lol. My unix skills are not very good and i didn't understand how to navigate to my jail. I setup my transmission inside the jail and i think this is probably the way most people are doing it because the "how to install transmission guide" sets it up this way. It is kind of bizarre that someone should have to go to the command line and run unix commands to gain full permissions to their downloads and watch directory. If you install in the jail or not in my opinion it should default to full permissions for anyone who has full permissions on the volume. It doesn't really make sense any other way. just my opinion tho. thanks for your help Vanyo, I appreciate it!

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?8569-Fix-Plugins-Permissions-Bug/page2

Status
Not open for further replies.