Transmission and GUI setup issues. Trying to auto download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ampedout

Dabbler
I am having a difficult time trying to set up the rest of my auto torrent download FreeNAS server. I have been doing my best to follow this guide: http://zufallsheld.de/2013/11/22/freenas-transmission-couchpotato-sickbeard-dlna-server/

I am having issues with these sections:
SSH to your Freenas

You'll likely need command-line access to your Freenas installation and to the jails as well. To enable SSH access to Freenas, go to Services and click on the screwdriver next to SSH. Tick the "Login as root with password" box and save the settings. After that, enable the SSH-Service by clicking the red OFF-button. Now you're able to connect to your Freenas with SSH by entering the following line into your terminal-emulator of choice:
ssh root@192.168.0.14
(change the address to the address of your Freenas)
Then enter the admin-password and you should be connected to your box.
Entering the jails

To enter one of the installed jails, type "jls" on the command-line. There you'll see the available jails. To connect to them, enter "jexec # tcsh" where # is the number of the jail.
[root@freenas] ~# jls JID IP Address Hostname Path 1 - bit_1 /mnt/media/jails/bit_1 2 - couchpotato_1 /mnt/media/jails/couchpotato_1 4 - ownbutt_1 /mnt/media/jails/ownbutt_1 8 - dlna_1 /mnt/media/jails/dlna_1 [root@freenas] ~# jexec 8 tcsh
root@dlna_1:/ #

as well as:

Now we'll have to connect to the jail of transmission to manually edit a configuration file. Connect via SSH into your Freenas and connect to the jail as described in the chapter "Entering the jails". Then you'll have to edit the file, by entering this on the commandline:
edit /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json
But first, stop the plugin or else the settings will be overwritten.
In the file, scroll down to the end where you can see the configuration-point called "umask". Replace the "18" with a "0". Save the file by pressing "escape", then "leave the editor" and then "save changes". After that start the plugin.

I downloaded PuTTy and WinSCP to try and connect to edit the files mentioned above, but they will not connect. PuTTy will not let me type a password at all, which is why I downloaded WinSCP. I must be doing something wrong here. Could someone help me access this area and help guide me how and why the files should be edited?

Also, I downloaded the Transmission Remote GUI and installed it. If I try to download torrent with it, it ends up canceling after a couple of Mb downloaded. Giving me an error message below.

All in all, I am trying to set up a FreeNAS box to automatically download TV series only. I would like them to be deleted after being on the hard drive for 30 days or so. Considering that there is a way to backup your settings, are there any pre-configured files that one could just upload to help set up things? I am also very new to all of this and appreciate any help. I have spent the last two days getting this far since my last hiccup, but I am running on fumes as of now. I am using the latest version of FreeNAS.

zufallsheld

Explorer
You know, you could have posted in the thread that I posted here. ;-)

To answer your questions, if they still need answering:

I downloaded PuTTy and WinSCP to try and connect to edit the files mentioned above, but they will not connect. PuTTy will not let me type a password at all, which is why I downloaded WinSCP. I must be doing something wrong here. Could someone help me access this area and help guide me how and why the files should be edited?

I added a section to the guide here. You probably aren't using the right IP-address or you did not activate SSH in Freenas.

Also, I downloaded the Transmission Remote GUI and installed it. If I try to download torrent with it, it ends up canceling after a couple of Mb downloaded. Giving me an error message below.
Make sure the permissions of all the folders are correct and you changed the couchpotato-settings shown in this image.

All in all, I am trying to set up a FreeNAS box to automatically download TV series only. I would like them to be deleted after being on the hard drive for 30 days or so. Considering that there is a way to backup your settings, are there any pre-configured files that one could just upload to help set up things? I am also very new to all of this and appreciate any help. I have spent the last two days getting this far since my last hiccup, but I am running on fumes as of now. I am using the latest version of FreeNAS.
Sadly, there's no such thing as pre-configured files.

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't see any error message at the aforementioned "below" location.

Deleting in 30 days sounds like something that can be done with a shell script as a cron job.
Not sure about pre-configured file, but there is a web GUI (or CLI) for transmission you could use to access most of its configuration settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.