Status
Not open for further replies.

HashManz

Cadet
First up, the setup:
I have FreeNas 11.0-U4 running on a USB flash drive
old i7 960 with 24gb of non-ecc mem on a asus sabertooth x58
I've got a raidz1 pool of 6*5tb disks
It's been running as a set-up and forget media server/occasional vm testbox for the last 4 years

Task:
Upgrading to a raid-z2 pool of 10*5tb disks (~38gb usable?) (should I go to z3? good 5tb disks are hard to find (on the cheap at least) now tho)
Need to offload the data but the only other nas i have access to has ~15tb free space
Currently have 17.4tb used on the pool and I need to transfer around 2.7tb out
for this purpose i have the following
3*2tb disks
1*1.5tb disks
I'll be attaching the disks 1 or 2 at a time and be transferring out 2 copies of 2 blocks, each of roughly 1.3tb in size
I successfully copied 1 copy of each block 1 and block 2 but the transfer rate was maxed out at 40 MB/s
I am using a sata to usb3 dock to transfer.

Problem:
My dmesg output shows that the disks have connected with a supposed USB 3 speeds, but the transfer is limited to usb2 speeds:

Code:
ugen0.2: <JMicron JMS56x Series> at usbus0																						 
umass0 on uhub1																													 
umass0: <MSC Bulk-Only Transfer> on usbus0																						 
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x8000																					   
umass0:11:0: Attached to scbus11																									
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus11 target 0 lun 0																					 
da1: <ST2000DM 001-1CH164 0107> Fixed Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device															   
da1: Serial Number 00A123456884																									 
da1: 400.000MB/s transfers																										 
da1: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors)																						
da1: quirks=0xa<NO_6_BYTE,4K>																									   
da2 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus11 target 0 lun 1																					 
da2: <ST2000DM 001-1CH164 0107> Fixed Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device															   
da2: Serial Number 00A123456884																									 
da2: 400.000MB/s transfers																										 
da2: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors)																						
da2: quirks=0xa<NO_6_BYTE,4K>	 

Is there any reason that people can think for this? Also any possible fixes?
Do i need to enable some bios setting because the USB 3 controller is seperate? More output from dmesg:
Code:
xhci0: <NEC uPD720200 USB 3.0 controller> mem 0xf7ffe000-0xf7ffffff irq 29 at device 0.0 on pci2									
xhci0: 32 bytes context size, 32-bit DMA																							
xhci0: Unable to map MSI-X table																									
usbus0 on xhci0				   

Any other suggestions would be welcome, as long as they are roughly on point/not too brutal

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'll be attaching the disks 1 or 2 at a time and be transferring out 2 copies of 2 blocks, each of roughly 1.3tb in size
I successfully copied 1 copy of each block 1 and block 2 but the transfer rate was maxed out at 40 MB/s
I am using a sata to usb3 dock to transfer.
I am not sure what the 'block' is that you are talking abut? The reason USB3 runs slow (USB2 speed) is because, last I heard, FreeNAS doesn't really support USB3. They don't really want people using USB drives as storage drives. Anyhow, that was then, and I don't know if it changed at all but your results tend to indicate it has not.
It might be faster to connect the USB3 drive to a Windows system and copy the data via the netwok. The thing I have done, to move my data as you are doing, is to connect a set of drives by SATA or SAS and create another pool to copy my data to. After re-configuring the storage pool, I was then able to copy the data back and remove the extra drives. It copies MUCH faster than way, I was getting around 600 MB/s with the arrangement of drives I had.

HashManz

Cadet
I am not sure what the 'block' is that you are talking abut?
Oh, i just arranged the data i wished to copy into two separate folders for each of transfer

The reason USB3 runs slow (USB2 speed) is because, last I heard, FreeNAS doesn't really support USB3. They don't really want people using USB drives as storage drives. Anyhow, that was then, and I don't know if it changed at all but your results tend to indicate it has not.
I thought so too before because they didn't support the xhci driver well in FreeBSD version 9.x, but I thought it changed in FreeBSD 10 and hence from Corral onwards?

It might be faster to connect the USB3 drive to a Windows system and copy the data via the netwok.
Yeah this is what I did at first but it was plodding along at 10-11Mb/s. I suspect somewhere there is a Cat5 cable in the inside wiring of the house even after we were assured it was cat6 installed.

The thing I have done, to move my data as you are doing, is to connect a set of drives by SATA or SAS and create another pool to copy my data to. After re-configuring the storage pool, I was then able to copy the data back and remove the extra drives. It copies MUCH faster than way, I was getting around 600 MB/s with the arrangement of drives I had.
This was going to be my next try, but I don't have enough ports left! I ordered an expansion card based on the LSI SAS 2008 chipset but it wont arrive for a week or so. In which time, snail transfer will be done XD

Thanks for the help though!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.