Traefik redirect issues

Migsi

Dabbler
Hello,

today I successfully managed to setup traefik as an ingress provider for all apps I've installed on my TrueNAS box. So far so good, I disliked the fact, that PiHole is only reachable, when calling it using the correct path (<domain>/admin). I tried to add a redirectRegex middleware to pihole, redirecting calls to the plain domain to <domain>/admin, but that results in a weird redirection loop when accessing it on a browser.
1650929751847.png
1650930060758.png
Apparently traefik responds with an invalid location, containing the port appended to the path. Even though the loop must come from an unexpected match in the regex, it puzzles me why the internal service port of pihole is appended to the path at all. The regex looks as follows:
1650930346597.png
Did I just overlook something obvious or might there be a bug within the redirectRegex function?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I guess you're not being specific enough with your regex... you probably need to have enough in there to tell it to only act on the complete URL and no more.

And, it would seem your regex needs to catch the port too, or you get that appending happening to the things before it.

Migsi

Dabbler
I guess you're not being specific enough with your regex... you probably need to have enough in there to tell it to only act on the complete URL and no more.

And, it would seem your regex needs to catch the port too, or you get that appending happening to the things before it.
That does not explain where the port comes from in the first place. My request didn't contain a port. The regex doesn't contain a port. Its the actual port on which that service would be available when using "simple" networking (I'm not, I use ClusterIP, its still available as I would use "simple") but anyway. Ingress otherwise works, when I access the service using the right path no such weird loop occurs. This has to do with redirectRegex itself.

truecharts

Guru
We heavily advice to only use Traefik with port 80 and 443.
It's part of, almost, all our guides for a reason.

A lot of middlewares and redirects freak out with different ports... including... endless redirects

Migsi

Dabbler
I think you still do not get my issue. I am never specifying any port anywhere. I simply configured the pihole app to use insgress over traefik, which is working fine so far. The issue is that pihole does not like it to be called on its root path "/" but requires one to access the path "/admin" explicitly. To circumvent this limitation, I tried both (exclusively, not at the same time): setting "/admin" as prefix for the service within the pihole app network config and using redirectRegex to automatically redirect from "/" to "/admin", of which neither lead to success. As you can see on my screenshots, somehow, and I have no clue how or why, traefik responds with a redirect created by redirectRegex (when accessing "<domain>/") which points to "<domain>/admin:9089/" which does not make any sense at all. I never specified this port myself, it is the default port the pihole management interface is exposed (from its container/pod). Traefik is not supposed to add this port anywhere to its responses, especially when it was never asked to do so. Also pihole would never be reachable this way. Besides this obvious issue (to me), there is an other obvious thing that I dont get: the port is added to the path, not the domain, which results in an invalid URL. So even if for whatever reason I wanted redirectRegex to add the cluster internal port of that service to this redirect, it would produce nonsensical/invalid results.

I hope this makes my issue more clear.
We heavily advice to only use Traefik with port 80 and 443.
It's part of, almost, all our guides for a reason.

A lot of middlewares and redirects freak out with different ports... including... endless redirects

Traefik is running on port 80 and 443 and it is properly making all my apps accessible, even pihole (only when accessing it using <domain>/admin, not when accessing <domain>/), so no weird messing around on this side. I expect my pihole to be reachable on default http(s) ports, I just want to be able to access it by domain only without explicitly specifying a path.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
I think you still do not get my issue. I am never specifying any port anywhere. I simply configured the pihole app to use insgress over traefik, which is working fine so far. The issue is that pihole does not like it to be called on its root path "/" but requires one to access the path "/admin" explicitly. To circumvent this limitation, I tried both (exclusively, not at the same time): setting "/admin" as prefix for the service within the pihole app network config and using redirectRegex to automatically redirect from "/" to "/admin", of which neither lead to success. As you can see on my screenshots, somehow, and I have no clue how or why, traefik responds with a redirect created by redirectRegex (when accessing "<domain>/") which points to "<domain>/admin:9089/" which does not make any sense at all. I never specified this port myself, it is the default port the pihole management interface is exposed (from its container/pod). Traefik is not supposed to add this port anywhere to its responses, especially when it was never asked to do so. Also pihole would never be reachable this way. Besides this obvious issue (to me), there is an other obvious thing that I dont get: the port is added to the path, not the domain, which results in an invalid URL. So even if for whatever reason I wanted redirectRegex to add the cluster internal port of that service to this redirect, it would produce nonsensical/invalid results.

I hope this makes my issue more clear.

Traefik is running on port 80 and 443 and it is properly making all my apps accessible, even pihole (only when accessing it using <domain>/admin, not when accessing <domain>/), so no weird messing around on this side. I expect my pihole to be reachable on default http(s) ports, I just want to be able to access it by domain only without explicitly specifying a path.

We're just here to provide basic advice, if you have any issues byond that you would need to file a support ticket with us on Discord and follow the procedure there...

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Migsi

Dabbler
We're just here to provide basic advice, if you have any issues byond that you would need to file a support ticket with us on Discord and follow the procedure there...
I'd love to do so, I joined your discord, accepted the terms and checked the checkmark, but I was not given any further access to your channels :/ Might there be some issues with the bot/whatever should provide me access? I did this ~2 weeks ago. Anyway, I'll retry and if I succeed, I'll ask over there.
I think you're going to need to look at the last section of this:

it seems for what you want to work, you need to edit the lightppd config on the pi-hole.
That seems to be exactly what I want to do. But shouldn't this be possible to be done by traefik/some middleware somehow instead of modifying the internal lighthttpd config (which gets probably overwritten on pod updates)?

sretalla