Total Noob needs help removing metada on used drive from previous setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrotruth

Cadet
Hi to all...
First time on the forum and hope the FreeNAS community could shed some light on my problem.
I have setup FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x86 (r12701M) with two drives that i used a few days ago in another freenas box i tried setting up.
The problem I am having now is that trying to wipe the ada1 disk won't clear the metadata from the previous setup.
I have tried using Putty to ssh with the following commands firstly for permissions:

sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

and then...

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0 bs=512 count=1 && dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=512 count=1

wiping the disk from the webGUI i noticed stops at 23%.
What am I doing wrong? I'm so frustrated.
All i want to do is create a new volume...how hard can it be?
Please guide me through to post reports and things like that as i am very new to all this!

Thanking everyone in advance for any assistance.

hydrotruth

Cadet
Thanks protosd...

I have tried wipe with full zeros numerous times....it never completes all the way to 100%
It stops at random, 9% 14% 23%
It always starts at 1% and never ends to 100%
Running 8.3.0
Any other suggestions?

hydrotruth

Cadet
update....now I can create a volume after repeating the wipe but with a different error this time.

dat /mnt/dat None (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space UNKNOWN

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you can't complete a wipe the drive may be bad. You should run some diagnostics on it.

hydrotruth

Cadet
Thanks noobsauce80.....

will read through that.
Sorry for the question, how to run diagnostic? Through FreeNAS?

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks protosd...

I have tried wipe with full zeros numerous times....it never completes all the way to 100%

The method I referred you to doesn't require writing zeros to the entire drive, it only wipes the start and end where the "metadata" is.

Noobsauce is right, sounds like a failing drive. FreeNAS doesn't have diagnostics. Google is your friend....

Status
Not open for further replies.