Thinking of using UFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

Cadet
So I have an HP N54L microserver that I am planning on making into my NAS. I bought it with the 4gb of memory and I do not plan on upgrading it memory wise any further for now. I have been all over these forums and am finding that my memory will limit me from having ZFS as my filesystem. I would prefer to use FreeNas over some of the competitors since its so well supported and seems pretty solid. I have a few questions I want to run by you guys before I start.

My plan will be to use 6 x 2TB drives in a Raid6 array with the UFS filesystem.
  • Will this all be possible with FreeNas as it is currently (I have read that newer versions might not support UFS)?
  • Will I be able to install plugins (such as plex and transmission)? I thought I read that plugins need ZFS?? That seems very unnecessary.
  • Does FreeNas support Esata enclosures for added storage space?

Thanks for your time!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's possible as it is currently. But you'll be left out of all updates. Some plugins require ZFS. Not sure which ones. I'd say try it and find out which ones. Keep in mind that even if you can't use a plugin there's nothing stopping you from using a jail except your desire to learn how to use a jail and how to install software.

FreeNAS doesn't support 'enclosures' but supports controllers. If your enclosure is attached to a controller and the hardware is supported your enclosure should work. BUT, be warned that most esata enclosures also use port multipliers, which are a total disaster and have caused data loss for people. Port multipliers are basically a nightmare on all OSes and should never have been invented.

gpsguy

Were you planning to add 2 of the 6 drives in the "added" storage or are you planning to stack them in the ODD bay? Just a note, out of the box, the eSATA and ODD connections don't support AHCI. To get AHCI, you'll need to install a hacked BIOS. Search the 'net for options.

Chip28

Cadet
I can confirm what CJ says about esata enclosures (with multipliers). I have the towerraid tr8m+b with my entire pool in it. Its a PITA and I'll be moving away from it in (hopefully) a week or two. I've been lucky enough to not loose anything but I can definitely see its walking on needles... On that note, I have a towerraid tr8m+b that I'm willing to sell :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.