Thinking of setting up a FreeNAS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

cra1g321

Dabbler
Should be fine.

Ok il risk it for a chocolate biscuit :cool:

Read there that the drives are definitely not compatible with that netgear readynas i was looking at.

So think it's time to order the HP Microserver n36l :)

cra1g321

Dabbler
Was checking out the £100 cashback claim form for the microserver,

and it asks for the name, company address and company name and - "The cheque will be made payable to the company name as it appears on
the invoice" link to form - http://h40059.www4.hp.com/Microserver/PA0023.pdf

what should i do ? i don't own a company

Milhouse

Guru
Just put your name and your home address, that's what I did and I got the rebate no problem.

Milhouse

Guru
Where it says "Company name (cheque payable to):" put your name, assuming your account is in your name and you want to pay the cheque into your own account.

cra1g321

Dabbler
ok thanks for the reply, il create a ebuyer account now and order everything :)

Milhouse

Guru
ok thanks for the reply, il create a ebuyer account now and order everything :)

FYI, you won't get a printed invoice from ebuyer - you'll need to log into your account and click on the line item within the completed order to view the invoice, then print it off yourself.

cra1g321

Dabbler
FYI, you won't get a printed invoice from ebuyer - you'll need to log into your account and click on the line item within the completed order to view the invoice, then print it off yourself.

Thanks again for the tip :)

cra1g321

Dabbler
Hey guys just thought i would give an update,

All the parts arrived today !!! said on ebuyer they wouldn't be delivered until Thursday so that was a nice surprise.
So spent most of the day getting everything setup (hard drives, RAM, network card) making sure to take my time ;)

Im using a very small HP 8GB pen drive with freenas on it of course, it was spare i had been using to boot different linux distross from, love the way there is a internal usb port inside of the microserver.
Heres a link to the pen drive, if anyone is interested - http://www.amazon.co.uk/v165w-Flash-Drive-P-FD4GBHP165-EF-Blue/dp/B00404JF80

Once i got everything setup and had FreeNAS loaded on the usb and inserted into the microserver, i just hooked up my wireless receiver for my keyboard and mouse, my vga cable of my monitor then turned it ON.

First thing i noticed was it is really quiet !!
FreeNAS automatically loaded, and gave my a IP address, which i then used to access FreeNAS from a laptop.
Then i just followed the all in one tutorial for FreeNAS on youtube, to setup my volumes, shares, users etc.

I haven't really tested it out yet with streaming HD content to my media centre in the other room, so far i've just been getting the other computers in the house to connect and autologin to the windows share and to have it so that the user sees it just as a drive (map network drive)

So yeah and really happy with everything so far, FreeNAS is very powerful and yet easy to use which is great.

The only issue/error i ran into today, was my windows 7 decided it didnt like FreeNAS being in my house, so it decided to show it's true colours by showing me a lovely BSOD when i connected my wireless keybaord mouse receiver back to it lol

All i have to do now it seems is copy over the data to the microserver, and to send that cashback form off to HP so i can get my £100 :)

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread, i probably wouldn't of attempted setting something like this up if it wasn't for the help you's guys offered.

**Is there anything else do you think i would need to setup after volumes, shares, users ?

Milhouse

Guru
**Is there anything else do you think i would need to setup after volumes, shares, users ?

In the BIOS, make sure you've set the video memory to the smallest amount possible, 32MB. This should free up additional memory for use by the system.

In terms of other configuration, that's about it unless you want to play around with services such as SMART (to monitor disk health), UPS, SNMP, rsync/snapshot (to a backup server).

And once you've got it all working, don't forget to take a backup of the working config (and whatever you do, don't then store the configuration file in your network attached storage...!)

cra1g321

Dabbler
Thanks for the tip about the video memory, il check it out next time im turning it on and make sure i make a backup of the config file.

Status
Not open for further replies.