Thinking about big storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letiteuf55

Dabbler
Hi !

I'm from Paris, working for huge SVOD company and looking for a personal NAS.

I think about recycling a 3U serveur with 16 HDD inside :D
I need your help, because, all the NAS who are in my work space running centOS, and i don't know FreeNAS...

see you !

You'll do just fine with FreeNAS.

I have two decades experience with RedHat/Fedora/RHEL/CentOS but very little with BSD. Installing, configuring and deploying FreeNAS was easy as pie.

Make sure that any repurposed hardware meets the FreeNAS requirements. HBAs = good. RAID controllers = bad. ECC RAM = good. Regular RAM = bad.

Cheers,
Matt

Evertb1

Guru
Hi !

I'm from Paris, working for huge SVOD company and looking for a personal NAS.

I think about recycling a 3U serveur with 16 HDD inside :D
I need your help, because, all the NAS who are in my work space running centOS, and i don't know FreeNAS...

see you !
When I started toying around with my first Freenas setup (not so long ago) I had no experience with it at all. Though I am an IT professional, developing software has nothing to do with installing and configuring a server (I have my guys for that :)). Using the excellent documentation, I had Freenas installed and running within 30 minutes. Reading took more time then executing the installation. Adding a storage pool (2 disks in mirror) was an uncomplicated operation. After that was done it took me again 30 minutes to create my first smb/cifs shares and had them accessible from my Windows client (and again most of that time was spend reading). From there it was all a matter of building on what I already had done. In other words: I found starting with Freenas to be a a pleasant and fairly easy experience. Of course you will have some challenges when it comes to expanding the functionality. But the people on the Forum are quit helpful if you run in to trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.