TFTP broken in 8.0.3 p1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letni

Explorer
I'm trying to use my recently built freeNAS box to host TFTP to be used to boot PXE images. I am noticing massive "transfer stall" issues with the TFTP server when transferring large files over TFTP. I'm have a PXE menu set of items to boot over PXE (which all works and tested when sitting on a linux TFTP server) but now I have moved these same files over to FreeNAS tftp and seeing that FreeNAS "sort" of works. One example of what I'm trying transfer is an ESXi 5 install images (single files upwards of 150 mbytes) and whenever I hit a large file, the transfer just dies in its tracks about 1/2 way through. Other smaller images work as the files are NOT that big. I thought it may be related to my Realtek nic so I switched to an Intel Pro/1000 PCIe NIC with same results..

Setup:

FreeNAS 8.0.3 p1
Athlon X2 4200+
tftp root sitting in a ZFS dataset
Realtek 8111 and Intel Pro1000 NIC
Trying to boot:
-ESXi 5.0 Install image (set up for PXE boot)
-SLAX modified PXE boot image
-MSDOS boot disk image (works due to small size)

I'm seeing the following errors (100s of these) in the messages:

Jan 29 11:37:41 celestial tftpd[3984]: Got ERROR packet: No error, file close
Jan 29 11:37:41 celestial tftpd[3986]: Got ERROR packet: No error, file close
Jan 29 11:37:41 celestial tftpd[3988]: Got ERROR packet: No error, file close
Jan 29 11:38:18 celestial tftpd[4020]: Block rollover but not allowed.

which tells me there is something fishy going on here
Thanks for any suggestions.

Letni

Explorer
UPDATE:
I did some more testing and I can actually download files of ~ 50 MB which is smaller than the 150 MB files that "time out". I originally thought this went back to an older version of TFTP server which didn't support sending files over 32 MB, but this additional testing shows there is something else going on here.. Can someone confirm which version of TFTPD is shipped within FreeNAS-8.03

thanks,

LetnI

Letni

Explorer
Well, finally after waiting for a long time.. I have finally upgraded to FreeNAS 8.3.0-RC1 and tried the ole boot off of TFTP (tftp of course being served directly off the FreeNAS box via the FreeNAS TFTP Service. The end result is that apparently this bug is fixed (FINALLY) and can now use FreeNAS to service larger files over TFTP for tasks such as ESXi Installer, PXE Boot images, etc...

scsosna99

Cadet
How about writing? I'm connecting to tftp via a Cisco router, I'm able to download config files, but am not able to upload config files (i.e., via the archive command when saving run-config). The directory exists, it is totally wide-open (chown 777), I've created the file and made it accessible to all. If I look at /var/log/messages, I see:

May 7 21:01:37 freenas tftpd[51205]: Timeout #1 on DATA block 1
May 7 21:01:42 freenas tftpd[51205]: Timeout #2 on DATA block 1
May 7 21:01:47 freenas tftpd[51205]: Timeout #3 on DATA block 1
May 7 21:01:52 freenas tftpd[51205]: Timeout #4 on DATA block 1
May 7 21:01:57 freenas tftpd[51205]: Timeout #5 on DATA block 1, giving up

Has anyone successfully copied a file into a freenas box via tftp?

nriedman

Dabbler
Same issue as scsosna99. We are building out two new FreeNAS boxes to catch our backups from production (and to correct some errors in planning) and we are unable to write our Cisco config backups to FreeNAS. It seems any file over 20kb fails with the error 3, which is "Error on server : Disk full or allocation exceeded". I would guess this is a rare error as searching the internet has turned up next to nothing for a solution.

Oddly enough, these same FreeNAS installs used to work and they have not been upgraded since they were working. Still running 8.3.1 release.

DAve

Created new thread for this issue here. http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...-3-1-release-will-not-accept-a-file-over-20kb

scsosna99

Cadet
Also running 8.3.1. My cisco config is not over 20kb, about half that size. This is a brand-new box, never got it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.