System time going crasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

i.am.meikle

Dabbler
Hi,

My FreeNAS system time keeps leaping ahead in time.

It is currently 16:00 here in Norway, and my FreeNAS box says: Fri Jul 13 00:56:21 CEST 2012 !!!

It appears to be very similar behaviour to: http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...ncrement-rapidly/page4&highlight=setting+time

>sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware
>kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-fast

>sysctl kern.timecounter.choice
>kern.timecounter.choice: TSC(-100) HPET(900) ACPI-fast(1000) i8254(0) dummy(-1000000)

>dmesg | grep -i time
>Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
>Timecounter "ACPI-fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
>acpi_timer0: <32-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x808-0x80b on acpi0
>pci0: <multimedia, HDA> at device 20.2 (no driver attached)
>acpi_hpet0: <High Precision Event Timer> iomem 0xfed00000-0xfed003ff irq 0,8 on acpi0
>Timecounter "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 900
>atrtc0: <AT realtime clock> port 0x70-0x73 on acpi0
>Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec

I am using a Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V motherboard (brand new).

My ntp servers are correctly setup and appear to be working until FreeNAS jumps into the future and then they report that the "time corrections exceeds sanity limit" and then refuse to reset the time. There does not appear to be a way of setting the time from the WebGUI.

I have powerd running. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I do not know what the different kern.timecounter.choice items are, so am a little reluctant to start playing with them until I get some more concrete info on their effect.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Ian

i.am.meikle

Dabbler
Some more info ... I have a feeling this might not be a FreeNAS or FreeBSD problem but i need some help to be sure.

Can someone explain to me the correlation between the BIOS time and FreeBSD'd time ?

I noticed that after a "leap" forward, if I rebooted and dropped into the BIOS config that BIOS time was also wrong. So I reset the time, rebooted. FreeNAS showed the correct time. I waited, the time "leaped" again, I rebooted and dropped into the BIOS and the time was wrong again.

When FreeNAS/BSD starts I assume it first reads the time from the BIOS ?
Then it tries an update via ntp ?
Does FreeNAS/BSD at any point after startup read the time from the BIOS ?
Is FreeBAS/BSD "informed" if the BIOS time changes ?
If the time is set in FreeNAS/BSD (via ntp or date(1)) does it then update the BIOS time ?

Many thanks for any info.
Ian

i.am.meikle

Dabbler
Results of more testing:

It does seem that this is occurs under load.

My system ran for a few hours with no problems, but no-one was accessing it.

I started a large transfer via NTP (4GB) and the system "leapt" 19 hours into the future !!!!

I would be very interested to hear if the system time drives the BIOS or the BIOS drives the system time ?

Regards
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.