system migration

tkempf

Cadet
hi,
i setup truenas core 12 last October to replace a storage server.
The plan was to bring Truenas up on an interim system, with an external 16disk 8GB sas jbod-enclosure, so i could play a little with it and get familiar to Truenas and the underlying Freebsd (up to now, i'm more a Linux-user). When the system was stable enough, i copied the data from the old (and designated new) server
to the interim machine.

Now the time has come, and i want to migrate the system back to the final hardware which has a 16disk sas enclosure too equipped with 8 4GB sas disks.
plan is to do it the following way :

- export pool on interim system
- attach external enclosure to new system
- import pool on the new system

Now i have a couple of questions before making stupid things...

- Do i have to care about the different drive numbers because the new hardware has aleady drives number da0-da8 from the internal enclosure?

- The interim System has an optane slog-device for the pool beeing concerned. Should i remove it from pool configuration before importing the pool on the new system without slog-device?

- Is it worth trying to copy configuration from the interim system to the new one, even when they have different hardware (i.e 4 NICs instead of 2, no SLOG ...)
or would you recommend starting the system configuration over from scratch for the new Server.

Befor you ask, i do have a backup of the enclosure, but i'd prefer not doing it the hard way

I 'd be really thankful if someone could comment on this and tell me, if i'm on the way to loosing my data, when doing it this way...
TIA
Tom

sretalla