first storage drive added to boot-pool

dcampitelli

Cadet
I am setting a new installation of TrueNAS CORE. Installed onto two brand new Kingston 120 GB SSD drives.
After installation and the configuration is complete, the system is powered down, 16 8 TB spindle hard drives are added to the RAID enclosure. When the system is booted, the first spindle drive the system finds is added to the boot-pool and is no longer available for storage pools.

Is this normal behavior? I would prefer not to sacrifice 8 TB for this.

dcampitelli

Cadet
Here is a screenshot of what I am speaking of. da0 is a member of boot-pool. If I remove all the 8 TB drives except one it is adopted in this manner. If I replace it with another, it is recognized as da0 and is a member of boot-pool.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 9.23.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 9.23.44 AM.png
    142 KB · Views: 120

pschatz100

Guru
From your screenshot, it doesn't appear that the system is recognizing the SSD's as boot drives. So let's start from the top.

Post a complete description of your hardware configuration. It is not possible to offer comments without knowing what the system is.

Redcoat

MVP
To add to @pschatz100 request, please confirm that you have correctly specified your boot drives' priority in your system BIOS.

And "Welcome to the Forums!"

dcampitelli

Cadet
It turns out this is the result of enabling swap space during installation. I reinstalled TrueNAS Scale and chose not to create a swap partition. The two SSD drives are now part of the boot-pool and none of the Spindle drives are reserved for it.