System can see drive but not pool after fresh install.

alink

Cadet
Hey guys, I recently performed a fresh install on my system and I’m unable to import a pool and was created prior to that fresh install.

I opened the shell to play around with a few things.
camcontrol devlist reported it can see the drive.
zpool import <pool name> didn’t work.

Another thing I tried was I installed OpenZFS on OS X on my Mac.
Then I took the drive out of the FreeNAS system, then plugged the drive into an external enclosure and used the following command in Terminal on my Mac:
sudo zpool import -fa
The drive mounted successfully and I could see all the data.

So at least the data is still there, but are there any ideas on what to do next to make it appear on my FreeNAS system?

Thanks in advance!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
what do you get from zpool import with the disk in the FreeNAS system?

alink

Cadet
what do you get from zpool import with the disk in the FreeNAS system?
I get nothing, it just goes to the next line waiting for me to type the next command.

Update/Edit: Also, just in case this adds any value to the troubleshooting, in the web UI when I go to "Storage / Disks" the drive shows up as "Unused" in the Pool column.

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard

alink

Cadet
Wow Dice, you went through quite the ordeal. I'm glad you were able to import the pool. However, in my case, -mf doesn't work.
It had some very interesting info in it though and I'm bookmarking it.

Most recently I've been reading through this thread: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/zfs-pool-missing-after-crash.65206/
Unlike the OP in that thread, my pool isn't encrypted, but near the bottom a user called ShelLuser mentions that the drive might be in a raw state.
If the drive is indeed in a raw state, what would I do? Or am I out of luck?