SyncThings Data Issues (Most likely something with permissions)

pwnerman

Explorer
So first setting this up I used Lawrence Systems guide here. To pretty much sum that up I made a dataset just for SyncThings and created a user and group called sync and gave it the user id 983 to match the jail. This worked great and Syncthings worked fine. The issue is that I have Sonarr and Radarr on a vm that is on another server and there is no way for these programs to know that the syncthings dataset where all my temp files go is on the same machine as my media dataset which is where I want Sonarr and Radarr to move the temp files to. Trust me I asked the devs on their discord and they told me there is no way to make the programs understand that they are both on the same machine. So what happens is Sonarr and Radarr pull the files to the virtual machine and then try and turn around and simultaneously transfer the file back to the other dataset and it's god awful slow.

So I need to move my syncthings temp directories into a folder on my "media" dataset. This is where the problems begin. First off I tried adding the "sync" user to my "personal" group which is the main group on my media dataset. This got me past the permission denied error but it made syncthings do some really weird crap. It would download the files fine according to syncthings and if I looked at the properties menu on windows it would show data in the folder but there were no files showing up and as soon as the file downloaded completely from syncthings it failed and then tried to start over. So when that didn't work I moved the "sync" user back to the "sync" group because that screwed up my shares that were working.

I then tried adding the "sync" user and "sync" group to the access control list of the dataset with full permissions and then applied that both recursively and to child datasets even though there aren't any. This is just giving me operation not permitted errors in syncthings now so I'm all out of ideas.

EDIT

Figured it out. Needed to change the permissions from restricted to passthough.

Last edited: