Switching IPs from 1G to 10G - order of operations to maintain access to system

Darren David

Explorer
I recently added a 10G card to my TrueNAS Cobia server, and I'd like to switch over to that as the primary. I currently have br0 configured to expose two different static IPs, 10.0.1.10 and 10.0.1.5 which live on my active 1G interface eno1. I configured DHCP on the 10G interface (enp129s0f1) just to confirm that it works (see below).

1711680196987.png

It seems that I should just be able to change the "members" pulldown in br0 to enp129s0f1 instead of eno1, but I'm concerned about losing access to the server if something goes awry. Is there a foolproof way to perform this cutover without losing access to the system?

1711680446633.png

chuck32

Guru
I'm concerned about losing access to the server if something goes awry. Is there a foolproof way to perform this cutover without losing access to the system?
Yes, just change the members. Remove the configuration from the interface before. Refer to the documentation

The foolproof way is actually built in, you need to confirm the changes after applying. Truenas will first ask you to test the changes, afterwards you can save. If you lose access during that time, you cannot save and it will revert the settings.

Just proceed, hit test settings and reload your browser page with the true as GUI. If you can still access it, everything went fine.

Maybe you need to suspend any apps / VMs during that crossover that use the bridge.

Edit: I'm surprised your interface is on the same subnet as the bridge, maybe because of DHCP it did not get blocked by truenas. You must not have multiple interfaces on the same subnet and I assume a bridge counts as an interface.