SOLVED Swap partition missing geli device after drive swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveY

Contributor
How do I re-create a new geli swap partition after a drive swap? I had a 2G swap partition on the old drive and after plugging in the new drive and creating a new 2G swap, /dev/ada1.eli is now missing. Only /dev/ada1 exists. What command do I need to run so I can add the swap partition back into the swap pool? I know freenas will automatically do this after a reboot, but it's a production server so I can't reboot it.

kdragon75

Wizard
Did you replace the drive from the GUI or the CLI manually?

kdragon75

Wizard
There's your problem. The middleware handles all the swap partition creation etc... As for shoe horning it in, I don't know.

DaveY

Contributor
Thanks kdragon75. Agreed GUI is the way to go, but there seems to be no option to swap out a healthy drive via GUI. Any suggestions?

Thanks kdragon75. Agreed GUI is the way to go, but there seems to be no option to swap out a healthy drive via GUI. Any suggestions?

You would want to be really sure about the drive you do this on (like checking serial numbers), but you be able to take it offline, wipe it from the storage -> view disks section. Then adding it back in from the GUI should handle all the other housekeeping when you replace it.

kdragon75

Wizard
FreeNAS needs an official wiki. There's just so much that's not documented outside of the forum and if we're honest, forums are not documentation.

PhilipS

Contributor

danb35

Hall of Famer
there seems to be no option to swap out a healthy drive via GUI.
Of course there is. Volume Status, select drive, Replace.

DaveY

Contributor
Of course there is. Volume Status, select drive, Replace.
And what device do I replace the "healthy" drive with exactly since I don't have a spare drive slot? Or are you suggesting clicking "replace" on a healthy drive without selecting a member disk will allow me to remove it and replace it?

danb35

Hall of Famer
And what device do I replace the "healthy" drive with exactly since I don't have a spare drive slot?
Then you offline the healthy disk, remove it, install the replacement, and do as I said above--and I'm pretty sure the manual describes that exact process as well.

DaveY

Contributor
Then you offline the healthy disk, remove it, install the replacement, and do as I said above--and I'm pretty sure the manual describes that exact process as well.
Thanks danb35, that worked. yes, the manual describes the process, but it's never worked for me so I just thought it was broken info. Turns out it was a combination of my drive controller and possibly FreeBSD's AHCI module not playing nice together. For my setup, there are extra steps I need to do before I can do a swap that are not available via webGUI and they aren't covered in the manual

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.