SVCCTL_OPENSCMANAGERA failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

engenius

Cadet
I just started receiving this error (SVCCTL_OPENSCMANAGERA failed) a few days ago and I can't find any information on it anywhere. I tried searching this forum and even google has nothing useful to say. The only results were links to the source code that generates the error.

My error log is like 95% this error message and a couple other random messages. Here are the 3 different error messages that are currently listed in my log (these messages are repeated many times but I didn't think it was necessaary to post them all):

Apr 19 11:05:38 fuji smbd[35365 gss_unwrap_iov failed with [ Miscellaneous failure (see text): unknown mech-code 0 for mech 1 2 840 113554 1 2 2]
Apr 19 11:05:38 fuji smbd[35365[2014/04/19 11:05:38.466836, 0, pid=35365, effective(20500, 20513), real(0, 0), class=rpc_srv] ../source3/rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:1525(process_request_pdu)
Apr 19 11:05:38 fuji smbd[35365 Failed to check packet auth. (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
Apr 19 11:06:26 fuji smbd[35430[2014/04/19 11:06:26.702373, 0, pid=35430, effective(21877, 20516), real(0, 0), class=rpc_srv] ../source3/rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:1395(api_rpcTNP)
Apr 19 11:06:26 fuji smbd[35430 api_rpcTNP: \svcctl: SVCCTL_OPENSCMANAGERA failed.

The error occurs frequently. It showed up ~80 times in an hour today and occurs even more frequently during the work week.

The only thing I remember changing on the freenas server recently was lowering the mtu. I had a previous error (http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cant-access-freenas-over-site-to-site-vpn.19732/) where employees in remote offices (connected over a vpn tunnel) could not access the server. Lowering the mtu to 1400 on freenas corrected that error.

I should also note that the server appears to be working correctly. I can access all of the files, copy over new files, performance seems okay, permissions are working. I'm just concerned that this might lead to a more serious problem down the road. And it also makes my log file useless because it keeps turning over every few hours.

I really hope someone else has seen this error before and can help me shed some light on it. Thanks.

D

dlavigne

What type of shares are you using? The error seems somehow related to an issue between Kerberos and AFP.

engenius

Cadet
Thanks for the response. They are CIFS shares. and the only reason I thought to post in the sharing section is that these errors are reported by smbd which I believe is the samba daemon. The services I have running on our server are CIFS, Active Directory and SMART.

What makes you say they are Kerberos and AFP errors? I haven't been able to find any information about this error so any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should add that everyone seems to be able to access their folders correctly and that the NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED and gss_unwrap_iov errors occur very infrequently, especially compared to how often the SVCCTL_OPENSCMANAGERA error occurs.

engenius

Cadet
Thanks for asking, but unfortunately not. Seems like I'm the only person with this issue... Is there any other information I should provide that would be helpful in finding an answer?

I've been meaning to try setting the mtu back to 1500 to see if that's the issue, but there hasn't been a good time to do that because the server is in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.